Maryland - Pool, Spa, Grotto, Waterfall Owner Build

I don't really see how that's doable unless I planned to only use certain features at once, or settle for low waterfall flow rates. I was aiming for 100-150 gpm per waterfall, plus another 50 gpm for the bubblers. That's two full pumps right there.

I feel like we could suffice with 4 pumps, using just 1 jet pump for the spa - 14 jets x 10 GPM each *should* be doable from 1 pump.

I don't really see how that's doable unless I planned to only use certain features at once, or settle for low waterfall flow rates. I was aiming for 100-150 gpm per waterfall, plus another 50 gpm for the bubblers. That's two full pumps right there.

I feel like we could suffice with 4 pumps, using just 1 jet pump for the spa - 14 jets x 10 GPM each *should* be doable from 1 pump.

Also consider the plumbing (suction and return sizes) and overall flow rates considering length of runs, elbows, T's, etc. I wound up with 3" suction and returns for the WF as well as a drain that provides ample flow. There is a great head loss calculation spreadsheet in the pump section here that I used. I was shooting for 125-150 gpm for the WF as well which is IMO probably a bit overkill as if I actually run it at those rates I'd probably have a bit of water splashing out. :) I could have run a 3rd pump dedicated for the splashdown fountains (I have 3 each with 2" dedicated runs) but decided to simplify the setup as it's pretty unlikely I'd need them at full tilt shooting 2 feet out of the water at the same time as blasting niagara falls style out of the WF, haha. In the end these pumps aren't cheap and neither is the electric bill when running everything - when they need to be replaced in 7-10 years (hopefully) that's just another 1000-1500 I can avoid. Just my opinion of course. :)

Been a bit slower here with the holidays. Wanted to follow up on progress.

Still really trying to nail down the pumping. We will be using 3" suctions and returns where needed. How many GPM do you guys like to see through big rock waterfalls? We will have a 6+ ft wide grotto and a separate 4 ft wide rock waterfall. Plus 2 Bubblers.

In our old pool, I ran the waterfall + sheer descent off a single speed 2HP Whisperflo. It was fine, but could have used more flow at times - and less at others.

Here are the options I see:

Option A:

Pump 1 - Filter Pump, In Floor Cleaning, 8x Spa Jets
Pump 2 - Grotto Pump
Pump 3 - 2nd Waterfall + 2 Bubblers
Pump 4 - Spa Booster, 8x Spa Jets

Option B:

Pump 1 - Filter Pump, In Floor Cleaning, 8x Spa Jets
Pump 2 - Grotto Pump + 2nd Waterfall + 2 Bubblers
Pump 3 - Spa Booster, 8x Spa Jets

Option C:

Pump 1 - Filter Pump, In Floor Cleaning, 8x Spa Jets + 2 Bubblers (Only in Pool Mode I suppose)
Pump 2 - Grotto Pump + 2nd Waterfall
Pump 3 - Spa Booster, 8x Spa Jets

Option D:

Pump 1 - Filter Pump, In Floor Cleaning, 16x Spa Jets
Pump 2 - Grotto Pump + 2nd Waterfall + 2 Bubblers

Any thoughts? Few points:

- I'd rather not lose the bubblers when in Spa Mode
- Thinking IntellifloXFs for the pumps
- I'd like multi level and calf jets for the spa, I'm not certain if one pump can really drive 16x 10 GPM.

Other progress:

Steel has been in:

RNU6f4N.jpg

Nwo35Yw.jpg

rcwigYZ.jpg

AWpo3QY.jpg

Lot of work on patio under our deck - It will be wet laid bluestone with bluestone treads and techo Mini Creta wall block:

OE47iVF.jpg

kPJMwJ7.jpg

zOBL7Xz.jpg

They've poured the concrete at this point for it, need to take some more pictures.

And I've been hard at work plumbing. Ran hundreds of feet of conduit and water line to our shed, and am working on the pool, BBQ area, "pool house" bathroom.

51mgJqZ.jpg

UNM3CQh.jpg

bTI3RLy.jpg

Not installed yet, but one is in the deep end next to the Grotto, and one is in the shallow end center, off to the right of the spa. They're actually where A&A Mfg spec'd out on their design and the deep end one is in the downstream from wind.

Getting closer here to completing plumbing. Scope of the project keeps growing. Additions we've made since starting:

2 Colorvision Bubblers

4 Globrite LEDs

Individually Plumbed Home-Run Returns

Up to 16 Twirlybyrd Jets in the spa in 3 zones - top loop, lower loop for dual/triple seats, and calf jets. Does anyone have any input to share on either floor jets, or running a separate return for heating without the jet fittings?

4 Barstools for a swim up bar and pavilion - May even eventually do a full pool house.

A&A Infloor Cleaning system - We decided this was going to be a need with the barstools. Besides the fact that I've hated dealing with the cleaner at the last pool. We had a Polaris 9400 robot and I was nearly constantly replacing pieces. I think I replaced nearly everything except the body housing 2x over in the span of the 2 years I was there. Top that off with the fact that we always seemed to have dirt sitting on the tanning ledge and steps regardless, and I'm willing to give the infloor system a shot despite mixed reviews. A&A designed it to have 37 heads and 9 zones, going to be a lot of piping, but we'll get it done.

Smaller things:
Irrigation system
Sonance Sound Array wiring
Pool pad shed enclosure

At this point I've installed thousands and thousands of feet of conduit and piping. Can't wait to get past it all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When the infloor system is set up right it can work great. Just remember there are quite a few moving parts that can wear out over time so be ready with model numbers and such.

I bet you don't want to deal with any more pipe for a LONG time!!!

Kim:kim:

Well, it's been a long time since updates. About a month ago we got gunite in for all but spa - they ran out of time, then we were going away, so left it.

Tons of changes on lights, features, plumbing along the way, coupled with a cold winter. We now have the following crazy setup (need to order most equipment still):

Main Pump - IntelliFloXF
- 9 returns, plumbed/valved individually - 2"/1.5" runs
- Cleaner stub just in case
- 3" Suction from channel drain
- Waste line valve
- 2 Venturi skimmers - 2" runs + 1.5" venturi lines
- In Floor system with 3" plumbing and 43 heads over 9 zones (what fun to install)
- 8 spa Jets - 2 sets of 4 individually valved (one set is below the main loop, and one set is in the footwell)
- 140k Raypak Heat Pump + 400k Raypak Propane Heater
- A&A Leafvac

Spa Pump - IntelliFlo? Probably overkill for sure..
- 8 more spa jets for main loop
- 3" Suction, 3" Returns

Waterfall Pump - IntelliFloXF
- 1 Larger waterfall, 1 Small Waterfall that will act as spillway if spa is being heated
- 2 Colorcascades Bubblers in shelf
- 3" Suction, 2" Returns to most and 3" to Waterfall

Grotto Pump - IntelliFloXF
- Looking for big waterfall over the grotto
- 3" suction/return

Additional plans:
- 3 Intellibrites in Pool, 1 in spa
- 2 Globrites on Shelf - I may get rid of these because I think it's useless with the lighted bubblers, thoughts?
- 2 Globrites in Pool (1 below each waterfall)
- Pentair IntelliChlor 60k
- Pentair Intellitouch

rF7bEYq.jpg

4WC4RGd.jpg

9uVoR0i.jpg

2mPfFLQ.jpg

LV8VXIk.jpg

XBcUlLg.jpg

oECJObb.jpg

Turned out good, but we have a few questions.

In 2 or places, the pipes ended up a little uneven after spraying (they started level). What's the best bet to correct? Or does it even matter? 1 is a wall return, and 1 is a floor cleaning head. They aren't drastically off, but I can tell.

One of the bar stools turned more oval. Concrete guys said plaster crew could fix it, but how exactly would they?

And last biggest question, we originally had plans for an infinity edge, but scrapped it due to complexity, and concerns with a young child and a basin we couldn't see. But now that it's green, we are having second thoughts about whether we should add one. What do you guys think? It would go on this view, and effectively replace what was going to be where you'd set your drinks (I think you could still set them on an edge?

sDmUl73.jpg

We were traveling and happened to see this pool, which made us rethink:
J1PC5ny.jpg

Wow that pool is amazing! I'd love to drop by and bring a couple growlers of my homebrew beer in exchange for a tour! With all those trees though I would seriously consider a permanent enclosure like they use in Florida.

I would not add the edge as I don't think you could sit drinks or such on it. I think it is better used as it is now. Yeah the edge would be pretty but it would not be worth the worry with the little one and having to take care of the basin.

uneven pipes-they could try to chip out around them. How much are they off? The floor one is the one I would worry about the most.

Kim:kim:

Happy to give a tour when it's done! I can't realistically see us enclosing it, as I'm not a big fan of those. But that's why I went extremely overboard on cleaning systems and plumbing to be able to (hopefully) handle all of this.

Thanks for the input Kim.

Here were some of my concern areas, couple pipes at odd angles. I guess there was just too much going on day of for me to notice and correct. Also noticed afterwards that the center light wasn't flush with the concrete. Any thoughts?

Y95yxBQ.jpg

XJr1clX.jpg

cijjnAb.jpg

Light that's not flush:

DFtvPqN.jpg

Oval Barstool:

SxkOq9f.jpg

(I know we have to trim the rebar and cover with hydraulic cement)

Pipes are no issue they are cut flush with the plaster anyway. That light looks really crooked but I suspect they can fix that with the plaster. Not sure how they are going to fix that oval. I guess just heavy up the plaster on the thin side. That will mean one of your pedestals is thicker than the others though. I doubt you will be able to tell when it is all done. Odd the rebar coming out of the edge like that I would think it would be in the center.

> Pipes are no issue they are cut flush with the plaster anyway.

Yea, but if you cut the vertical floor ones at an angle, how do you get the cleaning heads to sit flush? They will also then be at an angle. The light is definitely at an angle.

On the oval my thought was partially to take a saw and cut away some. Rebar for bar stools is annoyingly hard to keep in place, the concrete crew shifted a lot of stuff around while working. Another option I considered was to just saw most of that stool off and drill in some new rebar and re-pour since the crew has to come out anyway for the hot tub. There are no cold joints on shotcrete so it's tempting...

Good point with the cleaning heads I am not sure what tolerances they need. I also like the idea of starting over with the barstools. My fear is that with the rebar that close to the edge rust will develop.

Played with one of the cleaning heads I had and some spare pipe. There is virtually no tolerance. They hug the pipe as tightly as possible. Might have to ask the plaster crew their suggestions... That and the light give me the most concerns I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.