Marcite Refinish Scheduled - BiCarb Method Planned

Kouri

Bronze Supporter
Feb 5, 2017
Central Florida
Hi:
Although new to pools, ours is older and will have new Marcite being applied in February. We are planning to use the bi-carb method and have some of the prep work complete. We are using a modified rain barrel and will set up as shown in the attached document. We have had the new water tested and calculated the amount of bicarb needed. Since we normally have a pool service we are practicing brushing the pool sides and testing the water. We've also had some fun picking out mosaics to add some glam!

We're not pros and doing the start up ourselves. So -- any suggestions or ideas that might help us or hurt us?

Thanks!
Kouri

Attachments

• oB-BicarbStartMethod.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 3
I assume you've read through OnBalance's thread on the procedure?

The startup really isn't all that complicated it just requires frequent testing and additions to prevent scale from forming.

Is your plasterer on board with that type of startup?

No I haven't read that -- I did some searching but didn't find that -- will read now. The plasterer says the start-up procedure is the responsibility of the homeowner and hasn't heard of this method nor has anyone I've talked to around here. So -- yes, they are ok with it.
Thanks.
Kouri

No I haven't read that -- I did some searching but didn't find that -- will read now. The plasterer says the start-up procedure is the responsibility of the homeowner and hasn't heard of this method nor has anyone I've talked to around here. So -- yes, they are ok with it.
Thanks.
Kouri

You may want to be a little cautious on how candid you are with the details with the contractor. The bicarb startup is very outside the norm for what is typically done.

Here is a thread you may find helpful, either for your startup or to help you go to sleep... It's rather lengthy

Getting ready for O/B Bicarbonate Startup

Too late! Having said that, they did not protest in anyway and are interested in learning more. I have a different question. Setting up the 55 gallon drum calls for the input hose to be mounted halfway up the back of the barrel. What is the reason for not filling from the top of the barrel? That is, after the bicarb is added use the same hole as the fill hole? We're sure there is a reason but can't decide what it is. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

It's so that the incoming water doesn't just skim across the surface and flow out the lines into the pool. It promotes a thorough mixing of the bicarb so there is no chance of it settling on the surface.

Sodium bicarbonate dissolves fairly easily in water so this usually isn't a huge issue.

Here is more information on the startup that goes into a little more depth than the article on this site:

Bicarb Start-Up ABCs | Pools/Spas | WaterShapes

Thanks again -- so helpful. Since the directions don't explain how to attach the hoses to the barrel we are using hose bibs/spigots. I need to correct my earlier statement about OnBalance as I have been on their site as well as WaterShapes. I'm totally sold on this process.
Kouri

I've used an alternate method where I test the water every couple hours add enough dissolved bicarb to take the water to slightly higher than the established TA target.

That method has worked well for me since you are not having to build a contraption that may never be used again but it does require babysitting the pool as it fills.... Not a horrible way to spend the day though :cheers:

I've used an alternate method where I test the water every couple hours add enough dissolved bicarb to take the water to slightly higher than the established TA target.

That method has worked well for me since you are not having to build a contraption that may never be used again but it does require babysitting the pool as it fills.... Not a horrible way to spend the day though :cheers:

We are using a rain barrel purchased from Amazon for ~$70 which came with the top pre-drilled (a bit smaller than recommended) and 2 threaded bungs with hose bibs. From there we drill a couple of more holes and we are all set. Our friends will use the rain barrel after we're done.

House water:
Alkalinity 125
Hardness 100
Pool volume 6372

I calculate 25 pounds of bi-carb which I assume (dangerous I know) I purchase at pool supply store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.