Manual bypass with Jandy Jxi Versaflow heater

pool123*

Aug 28, 2019
Aldie, VA
I realize this may be a stupid question but is there any value to having a manual bypass on a heater like the Jandy Jxi Versaflow that has an internal bypass? It makes sense to me but I know nothing. Trying to add one and am being told it will "create a maze of plumbing which decreases efficiency" and that it could cause us to set the valves wrong and cause damage to the plumbing. Is this just a dumb thing for me to ask for? Thanks for any advice.

The only potential advantage to an external bypass would be in the event the heater is damaged and needs to be taken completely offline. With an external bypass you could take the heater out of the loop and not lose circulation

When your heater springs a leak you will need to shutdown your pool or do some quick PVC cutting and gluing without the external bypass.

Also, the Versalflo lets a small amount of water through the heater even when closed and if your water chemistry is out of whack, accidentally or on purpose, you can keep the heater from being damaged with an external bypass.

If the bypass is done the way we recommend it has no impact on efficiency and only one valve to turn so it cannot be misset.

Reactions: Ahultin
When your heater springs a leak you will need to shutdown your pool or do some quick PVC cutting and gluing without the external bypass.

Also, the Versalflo lets a small amount of water through the heater even when closed and if your water chemistry is out of whack, accidentally or on purpose, you can keep the heater from being damaged with an external bypass.

If the bypass is done the way we recommend it has no impact on efficiency and only one valve to turn so it cannot be misset.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.