Making life simpler - a superfast way to always get exact 25 & 44 ml water samples?

Docpatel

Oct 25, 2020
Denton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey folks, is there a way to very quickly/simply get a perfect 25 and 44 ml sample?

I mean the Taylor tubes work but I always pour out too much and it's become a pain. #FirstWorldProblems

There's got to be an answer for this but I can't find it.

Yup, there sure is.

Tie that in with a Speed Stir and life is wonderful

Thanks everybody! Gonna try to to make this a quick DIY project for the displacement ...~$30 for 2 pieces of plastic is steep.

That stirrer is wonderful!

I use a 10 mL oral syringe (intended for childrens' medicine). One syringe full for FC testing, I fill the syringe directly under the water. I can do it one-handed. If I lose my grip, no big deal, the plastic floats and is not sharp. For pH, I fill the color block the regular way and then pull some water off with the syringe. If I pull too much out, it's right there for me to put a bit back. I do not use a syringe to fill the color block for pH - it's almost impossible not to aerate the water which changes the pH.

For 25 mL, you have options. Two and a half syringes, or else use the syringe to remove water from the cylinder until you get down to 25 mL. Sometimes I do one way, sometimes I do it the other - depends on my mood at the moment. I don't do those test very often, so while it's less convenient than having a single syringe-full, it works for me. They do sell 50 mL syringes if you prefer to go that route.

Reactions: markayash
I used syringes for a long but the rubber plastic plunger tip eventually degrades and gets hard to set precisely at the desired spot. So I switched to the sample sizer. Never had it easier. I can use it for all the TFP tests including the borate add on. Not sure why you would need 44 ml and I don't think there's a version of the sample sizer for this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a small plastic bottle with squirt top, similar to a sample size shampoo bottle. I fill it from the pool then can squirt out the amount needed for each test as I go. Price was right (free) as I already had one. It also fits well into my TF-100 kit.

It seems to me that the pH test doesn't need a really precise pool sample. A pH result of 7.5 will show the same hue at 40 ml as it will at 44, I think.

The color will be more intense with the more concentrated sample but the hue will be essentially the same.

Some members like to add (or subtract) a drop of phenol red for personal preference in viewing. That certainly changes the concentration but the hue remains pretty much the same.

Last edited:
1606917522120.png
I've used something similar to this for years and it works really well...dispenses very accurately. Fill it once and use it for all of your test samples. I also use about a 3'-4' section of 1/2" PVC to collect the water from my pool. Stick it in the water, cover with your thumb, pull it out of the water quickly and dump it in your test bottle. No more bending over to collect my sample water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.