Major leak need help possible return

Jun 11, 2014
Philly, PA
Hey Guys,

So I had my pool replastered last year and they replaced the main drain cover. This year I opened the pool and everything was fine then I noticed a sudden lost of water at a very fast rate. Water was at mid skimmer line around 6pm and the next morning it was 3 in below the skimmer bottom. I looked around the pool for puddles of water and such and I found behind my pool shed where by backwash line comes out of the ground above it there was water flowing out at a steady rate. I filled it back up yesterday thinking it was the main drain and I plugged it and the skimmer line to rule those two out.This morning same thing the water was 3-4 in below the skimmer bottom.

I called a pool leak company and they wanted $395 for a dye test and $695 to test using a listening device. Before I agreed to those terms I looked around the pool again since it was about 10 hours since I last checked and the water has not went any lower. I noticed that the pool water stopped right below one of my return lines. Should I have the leak detection company still perform those test or should it be easier to find the leak now that the pool water stopped dropping at one return line?

Turn your pump on and walk to where the water from your backwash/waste line exits from and see if water is coming out. If so, then you most likely only need to replace your spider gasket seal in your multiport valve and your good to go. I had the same problem where my pool was losing a few inches of water a day and finally realized that the whole time my pump was running (about 8 hours), water was also going out through the waste line because of the faulty spider gasket. Replaced it and problem solved. Not saying that's it, but it's worth taking a look at.

I,

I'm puzzled.. if you plugged the skimmer and main drain how are you running your pump?

If the leak is happening with the pump off, then I would not suspect the multiport spider gasket.

With the pump off, if the water drains down to the return line level, then that is where I would suspect the leak is.

How to find or fix will really depend on how much is open to dig/view and how much is covered by your deck.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not unless the multi port valve is below the water level. This is an inground pool according to the OP's signature.

Imxelite- Is the filter MPV below grade?

Yes I believe the MPV is below grade..

Update:
Overnight the water remained at the level right below my return line.

Filled the pool up today and now going to let it sit overnight without the equipment running and the one return line plugged and see if I lose any water. No water leaking near the backwash hose at the moment. Will check tomorrow with the equipment running if I don't lose any water with the equipment off.

Also my pool has been open for about 3 weeks now and just started losing water a couple days ago out of the blue.

Update for today. I filled the pool yesterday and it went over night with no water loss at all. Turned the equipment back on around 7am today as so far water levels remained the same and no leaking above the backwash hose behind the pool shed. Hopefully that means the only leak is in the return line that I plugged. Now I have to find a pool leak company that charges less than $695 to pin point where to dig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.