Bronze Supporter
Apr 17, 2022
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well I think I finally have beautiful clear water and some idea of what I’m doing, thanks to y’all

If everything looks good (FC at 2, CYA at 40, TA at 90) does that mean I just check with my little Taylor kit each day to make sure it’s staying good and add chemicals as needed? Or do most of you add shock/acid once a week on a schedule?

how often do you need to check CYA?

Before n after of the water, I’m strangely super proud of how clear it is now lol
80533C67-45F0-435E-8D80-83FCFCFABFDB.jpeg

FC/CYA Levels
Never let the FC get lower than the minimum. Best to keep it near the top end of the target range.
With CYA 40, minimum FC is 3, target FC is 5-7.

Post a full set of current test results from your TF-100.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

I can see your PoolMath logs, but they are incomplete.

FC/CYA Levels
Never let the FC get lower than the minimum. Best to keep it near the top end of the target range.
With CYA 40, minimum FC is 3, target FC is 5-7.

Post a full set of current test results from your TF-100.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

I can see your PoolMath logs, but they are incomplete.
I’m an idiot and mistyped, my FC is 4.

Tests from tonight:
FC 4
CC 0 (this one is hard to tell bc it turned ever so slightly pink and then back to clear after one drop, not sure if that counts as CC .5 or not)
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH didn’t do this test last time because it was fine yesterday and I was being lazy
CYA 40

Assuming this looks good, I mainly wanted to know if I should just test with the little PH/Chlorine Taylor kit that came in the TF-100 each day and then fully test once a week (unless PH/Chlorine is off before then)? Or do I need to test more often?

Also pool math has my target at 3-7 for FC, is that not right?

Last edited:
Your chlorine should be tested daily with the FAS-DPD test, NOT the yellow OTO test. The OTO chlorine test is basically useless for telling you anything other than "yes, some amount of chlorine is present". It's largely without merit for anything else, and I never have used mine.

Your FC should be kept between 5-7 given your CYA of 40. I test using the FAS-DPD chlorine test daily, and maybe the pH every few days (I can pretty much guess what the pH is given how much the pool was aerated and the last time I dumped muriatic acid in). The rest of the tests I do if I suspect something may be off, otherwise they get done maybe once a week to every couple of weeks (CYA, TA, CH, etc).

Reactions: NtxMelanie
Based on your username, "m assuming you're in the DFW or Tyler areas, somewhere up there. TX is a big state. :) Slightly different weather than down here around San Antonio and the gulf, but still getting hot. So unless your pool get slots of shade, don't be surprised if you have to increase the CYA a bit more soon. You'll know if the FC falls more than 4 ppm in 24 hrs. If you do increase teh CYA, always go back to the FC/CYA Levels to see the matching FC range. Otherwise, the water looks great! :goodjob:

Reactions: NtxMelanie
I’m an idiot and mistyped, my FC is 4.

Tests from tonight:
FC 4
I'm an idiot (a lazy one ta boot!!) and want some safety net. I don't want to have to closely pay attention that I had yesterday's FC loss and now I am 1 FC above minimum. (Which, technically, is good). It cuts it too close for me if I get busy Ubering kids all afternoon and am 4 hours late with my testing. Or last night with a concert and then ice cream and take the dogs out when we get home and OMG its PJ TIIIIIIIIIIIIME !!!! Meh it can wait until tomorrow morning.

So, I like to use the low # of target as my minimum. When life gets busy, I'll still be above minimum when I have a minute to test later.

I'm an idiot (a lazy one ta boot!!) and want some safety net. I don't want to have to closely pay attention that I had yesterday's FC loss and now I am 1 FC above minimum. (Which, technically, is good). It cuts it too close for me if I get busy Ubering kids all afternoon and am 4 hours late with my testing. Or last night with a concert and then ice cream and take the dogs out when we get home and OMG its PJ TIIIIIIIIIIIIME !!!! Meh it can wait until tomorrow morning.

So, I like to use the low # of target as my minimum. When life gets busy, I'll still be above minimum when I have a minute to test later.
That makes perfect sense, I think I will try to keep a lil bit higher for the same reason

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.