Maintenance cost comparison Vinyl vs Gunite wanted

Apr 23, 2009
Hello all, I won't hit you all with the Chevy vs Ford Vinyl vs Gunite question I'm contemplating. Read a lot of the previous posts. Leaning to Vinyl as I have had a good experience with it.
What I wanted to ask is new replacement liners vs replastering costs. I have to fully redo my existing Vinyl pool because of a failing retaining wall. In doing so, I'm turning the pool 90 degrees to avoid the poorly planned retaining wall issue.

I feel I maintain pool chemistry well via the TFP way. How long does one expect to get out of the pool plaster/finish before needing to redo? Trying to compare that cost to the cost of liner replacement. It seems to me that roughly 25 years for the plaster. I'd guess 3 liners in that period for that which I think is about the same price.

Current liner lasted since I bought the house 13 years ago. I believe it was 2 years old when I got it.

Thanks so much for the replies in advance.

Lower NY. Existing pool 27k, Vinyl liner, Grecian L, Salt, DE Filter. Built in 1999.

Hello all, I won't hit you all with the Chevy vs Ford Vinyl vs Gunite question I'm contemplating. Read a lot of the previous posts. Leaning to Vinyl as I have had a good experience with it.
What I wanted to ask is new replacement liners vs replastering costs. I have to fully redo my existing Vinyl pool because of a failing retaining wall. In doing so, I'm turning the pool 90 degrees to avoid the poorly planned retaining wall issue.

I feel I maintain pool chemistry well via the TFP way. How long does one expect to get out of the pool plaster/finish before needing to redo? Trying to compare that cost to the cost of liner replacement. It seems to me that roughly 25 years for the plaster. I'd guess 3 liners in that period for that which I think is about the same price.

Current liner lasted since I bought the house 13 years ago. I believe it was 2 years old when I got it.

Thanks so much for the replies in advance.

Lower NY. Existing pool 27k, Vinyl liner, Grecian L, Salt, DE Filter. Built in 1999.
There are many pros and cons to consider other than longevity and cost between vinyl, fiberglass and plaster pools. I think the easiest to maintain from a chemical standpoint are probably vinyl pools as I don’t have to worry about calcium levels ect. I do have to worry about holes in the liner though. I know you have unlimited options in terms of size and shape with plaster pools and fiberglass pools are supposed to never need to be resurfaced ever (not sure they hold up forever though). Point is that perhaps you should be looking more at all the pros and cons of each other than cost of liner replacement vs replaster. I mean, always consider all the variables with anything really.

So with the way you manage your chemistry, you get 15 years per liner. (Barring any catastrophes.) That's about what most people expect from their plaster, in a similar best case scenario.

But as Orion said above, there's alot more too it than refinishing.

I'm worried about turning the pool. Has this been extensively planned ? Usually to replace a pool, you need to tear the old one out and go larger for undisturbed earth. Turning 90 degrees would put one wall over your current deep end and I'm not sure they could build up the difference.

There are many pros and cons to consider other than longevity and cost between vinyl, fiberglass and plaster pools. I think the easiest to maintain from a chemical standpoint are probably vinyl pools as I don’t have to worry about calcium levels ect. I do have to worry about holes in the liner though. I know you have unlimited options in terms of size and shape with plaster pools and fiberglass pools are supposed to never need to be resurfaced ever (not sure they hold up forever though). Point is that perhaps you should be looking more at all the pros and cons of each other than cost of liner replacement vs replaster. I mean, always consider all the variables with anything really.
Thanks for that. I've been researching the differences/variables for quite a while and in my head for my application. the Vinyl wins out. Less pool chemistry, smoother surfaces, easier Algae management and a new looking pool every liner change. Gunite, 1st comment often is it's the Cadillac. I drive a Ford. Only argument I keep seeing is that overall the Concrete pool maintenance is cheaper but I don't see it unless I'm missing something.

Reactions: Orion7319
So with the way you manage your chemistry, you get 15 years per liner. (Barring any catastrophes.) That's about what most people expect from their plaster, in a similar best case scenario.

But as Orion said above, there's alot more too it than refinishing.

I'm worried about turning the pool. Has this been extensively planned ? Usually to replace a pool, you need to tear the old one out and go larger for undisturbed earth. Turning 90 degrees would put one wall over your current deep end and I'm not sure they could build up the difference.
Thanks for that. I live on top of a large rock hill in the foothills of the Taconics in NY. The deep end was created by the original owner who was a civil engineer (hmmm) by putting a retaining wall on the down slope to create the deep end. I don't believe it was properly footed and drained as it has bulged out and starting to separate it's 6'x2'x2' concrete blocks. I'm turning it 90 degrees and converting it to a rectangular pool by abandoning the longer Deep end and jackhammering into the rock for a shallower deep end. This puts the pool about 40' away from the edge of the retaining wall. I am eliminating the 10' retaining wall and restoring the slope of the hill. This way the pool is now on solid footing. The civil engineering to rebuild the retaining wall properly well exceeds the cost of the rock hammering.

GREAT. Its been extensively planned. (y)

Only argument I keep seeing is that overall the Concrete pool maintenance is cheaper but I don't see it unless I'm missing something.
The chemistry is the same except vinyl doesn't need the calcium replenished nearly as much from the northeast rain dilution.

Other than that, they both need to be brushed and vacuumed.

Thanks for that. I live on top of a large rock hill in the foothills of the Taconics in NY. The deep end was created by the original owner who was a civil engineer (hmmm) by putting a retaining wall on the down slope to create the deep end. I don't believe it was properly footed and drained as it has bulged out and starting to separate it's 6'x2'x2' concrete blocks. I'm turning it 90 degrees and converting it to a rectangular pool by abandoning the longer Deep end and jackhammering into the rock for a shallower deep end. This puts the pool about 40' away from the edge of the retaining wall. I am eliminating the 10' retaining wall and restoring the slope of the hill. This way the pool is now on solid footing. The civil engineering to rebuild the retaining wall properly well exceeds the cost of the rock hammering.
If the digging gets rough you can say “forget it!” and just create a custom shape if you do Gunite… just call it a “feature”

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Plaster is going to cost more than vinyl over the long haul, no doubt - there's no way you'll get 25 years out of todays plaster/plasterers! Having said that plasterers are pretty easy to find, good vinyl installers, less so, at least in my neck of the woods.

Around here you’d never find a vinyl pool … the environment would destroy a liner in a few short years. Plaster is really the only viable option and you’re lucky to get 15 years.

Also, just a shout out to my fellow NY’ers … spent the better part of a decade in my working days driving up and down the Taconic Parkway … absolutely stunning and beautiful this time of year when the foliage is changing.

Reactions: Lanzz and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.