Maintaining chlorine level

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
Hello....I was hoping to not need to bother anyone this season but alas, I have a question. We opened our pool a week ago, and this was the first season we opened it after using a mesh cover. The water was a deep green, whereas we always opened our pool and saw clear water. But because I have learned so much here, I was able to successfully use the SLAM method and within 3 days the pool water was perfectly clear and the Combined Chlorine was 0, etc.

I'm a little confused, however, as to the timing of adding bleach. For example, we will add the amount we need to bring it up to a FC of 6, then by 24 hours later it has sometimes dropped to 3. Should it be moving that much in 24 hours (sunny days)? Sometimes it hardly changes in a day, then sometimes it changes a lot. But since keeping a good level as much as possible will inhibit algae growth, I'm not sure I"m timing this right. it seems to go up and down a lot in one day. One morning, I tested the water and it was still at at least 5, so I didn't add any bleach. But because I didn't add any, by the NEXT morning, it had fallen to 2. Should I be adding in the afternoon instead, when most of the day's sun is over?

For convenience, we usually test in the morning, add chemicals, then the filter runs during the day and shuts off in the late evening. But if I should be doing this differently, I'd like to do that instead.

Thank you for your time.

LOVE the app!!! It makes this all so much easier!

Thanks again,

Renee

33,000 gallon inground vinyl liner pool

It is normal for a pool to lose 2-4 (even 5)ppm of FC every day. Depends on sun exposure and water temperature mostly.

Never let the FC drop below the minimum for your CYA level as shown in the FC/CYA Levels.
It really does not matter what time of day you test and add as long as you stay fairly consistent, because when you test is when the FC will be the lowest.
Many members add the bleach in the evening so that the pool stays at a higher level overnight before sunlight losses start, but as long as it is always above the minimum, it does not matter when.

It is normal for a pool to lose 2-4 (even 5)ppm of FC every day. Depends on sun exposure and water temperature mostly.

Never let the FC drop below the minimum for your CYA level as shown in the FC/CYA Levels.
It really does not matter what time of day you test and add as long as you stay fairly consistent, because when you test is when the FC will be the lowest.
Many members add the bleach in the evening so that the pool stays at a higher level overnight before sunlight losses start, but as long as it is always above the minimum, it does not matter when.

So if I add in the evening, I would have to also run my filter for at least a certain amount of time afterwards, right?

Thanks for your reply..

Renee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.