Main Drains in Sport Pool

DoDo1975

May 22, 2020
Kelowna, Canada
Hi, just a question about main drains.

Is there an issue having main drains in a vinyl liner sport pool where the center is only 5.5' deep. I am worried mostly that people will stand on them. PB thinks I should have them and I agree; but not sure if recommendations are different for shallower pools like this or if main drains are still fine.

Thanks

Last edited:
Pools go without main drains all the time these days. That's one less cut in your liner. If you ever wanted to lower the water you could use a sump pump or on a more limit way your backwash/waste option if your filter has it.

Maddie

I am a huge fan of main drains. I have lots of tree crud/dirt/sand that falls to the bottom and we winterize here and need to drain. In a sport pool however i dont like them and would consider them toe-smasher-3000's.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I have 2 main drains in a sport pool. The covers are pretty solid if you are thinking someone will break them. My depth is 6 ft from the top of the water so people shouldn't be standing on them. Where is the 5.5 ft measured from?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.