Main Drain Cover Screws

Flat4

Aug 28, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone. I just recently bought a house with a inground 20 000 gal pool. I have been loving it so far from keeping it crystal clear thanks to everyone here and jumping in after a sweaty 12 hour day in 40c heat. I noticed one day when i had my dolphin 300I vacuuming the pool it knocked the main drain cover off. Upon further Investigation there is no screws holding the cover on at all, The Cover says jacuzzi on it does anyone know what type and size of screw i would need? lucky for me my wife is a varsity swimmer so she will have the lung capacity to screw the cover back on. 😂 I also noticed the main drain is plugged I believe from the previous owner probably a leak? will this cause any issues in the future with closing for the winter etc.? I think the main drain is plumbed to the skimmer also because I only have one return line and one suction line in the pump house. would I be correct on that?

Thanks for all the help and keeping my first pool crystal clear!

Hey Flat 4 and Welcome !!
I also noticed the main drain is plugged I believe from the previous owner probably a leak? will this cause any issues in the future with closing for the winter etc.? I
Nope. If it’s plugged for good it will never bother you again.
think the main drain is plumbed to the skimmer also because I only have one return line and one suction line in the pump house. would I be correct on that?
Most skimmers have 2 holes. If the main drain is plumbed to the skimmer, both holes are open. (Although yours may be plugged like the drain itself). If it wasn’t plumbed into the skimmer you should have a 4 inch (?) deep second hole / pipe Barb that is sealed and fills with sand and dirt.

Most skimmers have 2 holes. If the main drain is plumbed to the skimmer, both holes are open. (Although yours may be plugged like the drain itself). If it wasn’t plumbed into the skimmer you should have a 4 inch (?) deep second hole / pipe Barb that is sealed and fills with sand
Two holes in the skimmer, both arm open. one has a little flap that swings over one that says vacuum.

Two holes in the skimmer, both arm open. one has a little flap that swings over one that says vacuum
The flappy one goes to the pad and the other hole goes to the main drain. The make a macaroni noodle looking piece that bridges the two holes to suck only from the main drain on older pools. (For non plugged main drains)

The flappy one goes to the pad and the other hole goes to the main drain. The make a macaroni noodle looking piece that bridges the two holes to suck only from the main drain on older pools. (For non plugged main drains)
Awesome thanks for the help! So when I close the pool I should just blow air from the return and suction lines? Also do you have a idea what size screws for the drain cover?

Awesome thanks for the help
That’s how we do ;)
So when I close the pool I should just blow air from the return and suction lines
are you going to drain below the skimmer or leave it full ? If you are draining I’d want to suck that main drain pipe too. or, as much as you could get with a garden hose duct taped to a shop vac hose, then antifreeze it and plug it for the winter.
Also do you have a idea what size screws for the drain cover?
Send inyopools.com a pic in an email and any relevant pics. They are our goto folks for this sorta thing. They are swamped and I had difficulty getting them recently on the phone (several individual occurrences) but anytime I got somebody they were awesome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.