Main Drain Cover Missing

Jcarr

Jul 12, 2020
Houston, Tx
We just realized the cover to our main drain at the bottom of our fiberglass pool is missing, so there is just an open hole there. So we need to drain the pool. It’s a relatively small pool, but we are afraid it’s going to “pop out”. I heard that you should wait till the temperature is below 85 degrees to attempt to drain your pool. It’s 110 degrees where we are. Can we wait several months to fix the drain?

Attachments

• F5F4C86D-BD5B-4C2A-8247-53E9EC25CD64.jpeg
    F5F4C86D-BD5B-4C2A-8247-53E9EC25CD64.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 46D04A97-7D5E-4950-B468-8DD108410EDD.jpeg
    46D04A97-7D5E-4950-B468-8DD108410EDD.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 17
  • F320E29A-660D-4BBF-9935-985C1D031BA9.jpeg
    F320E29A-660D-4BBF-9935-985C1D031BA9.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Its not so much the hot weather (which we certainly have right now) as it is your water table underneath. When the water table rises, that's a huge risk. Is there any way to contact the manufacture of that pool to inquire about a replacement cover? If not, I would think there may be an aftermarket cover that can be attached without completely draining. @jimmythegreek do you know of any such methods or covers?

Welcome to the forum!
From a safety standpoint, that main drain most likely should be plugged and abandoned. It appears to not be VGBA (Virginia Graeme Baker Act) compliant. Unless there is a surface SVRS (Safety Vacuum Release System) in place.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Take a piece of tyvek or similar material and a graphite pencil. Dive with a mask amd make a template of where the holes are like you would when you were a kid and silkscreened coins. Then measure amd look online at replacement lids. No need to drain pool for this repair

Reactions: Texas Splash
I would be afraid to plug it, because 1. I don’t what it is used for, so I don’t know if it is necessary to have one 2. I have no idea HOW to plug it and 3. I’m afraid the next pool guy is going to tell me to drain the pool

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Its not so much the hot weather (which we certainly have right now) as it is your water table underneath. When the water table rises, that's a huge risk. Is there any way to contact the manufacture of that pool to inquire about a replacement cover? If not, I would think there may be an aftermarket cover that can be attached without completely draining. @jimmythegreek do you know of any such methods or covers?
I have no idea who the manufacturer is. The pool was put in BEFORE I had moved in (which was literally about 30 years ago)’

Take a piece of tyvek or similar material and a graphite pencil. Dive with a mask amd make a template of where the holes are like you would when you were a kid and silkscreened coins. Then measure amd look online at replacement lids. No need to drain pool for this repair
I had a pool guy come over and he went in and he said he had a universal cover he could put in it (it’s like $60-$65 plus tax), but needs to drain the pool to use a drill to put the screws.

If you can't find a pool service that will do it without draining, worst case you can get a diver to do it the way Jimmy recommended. Look around in the Kemah area for a boat diver or inquire at a dive shop close to you. They do underwater work on boats for a living. This would be a piece of cake for them. I'd way rather pay for a diver than risk draining damage.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support