quadracer316

May 22, 2014
Quad Cities, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is a very nice test kit and the smartstir makes it super easy! I was a little gunshy but after doing it and following the instructions(which are great) it went really well. Few questions I have are:
Why is my TA testing so high? Is this normal?
Are people adding bleach daily or every other day?
Should I plan on checking fc daily to get a grip on how much I lose with my pool?
I added recommended amounts per pool math....assuming this was right.
Does anything stand out as a big problem?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-214805.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-214805.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 31
Why is my TA testing so high? Is this normal?
Are people adding bleach daily or every other day?
Should I plan on checking fc daily to get a grip on how much I lose with my pool?
I added recommended amounts per pool math....assuming this was right.
Does anything stand out as a big problem?
Did you use the 25ml sample for the TA test? The other tests(FC and CH) are 10ml samples. Your TA sounds high unless your local water supply has very high TA. Maybe test again.

I find it best to add a little bleach each day to have a consistent level. You don't really want to dose it too high because very high FC tends to burn off quicker. I actually add some in the morning and another dose in the afternoon. The only time I may dose very high is if I am going out of town for a long weekend.

The more you test, the better you get to learn how your pool reacts. So I would continue to test daily for a week or 10 days. Presently I test every 2-3 days in the summer but I know how much FC I am losing each day so that is what I add daily. My tests confirm that I am on track.

Pool Math is a great tool, but there are so many variables such as the exact volume of your pool, how much chemical did you actually add if pouring from a gallon jug, etc. So one way to get things synced up is to test. Put in your chemicals such as LC, then give it 30 mins or so with pump running to mix. then test again. Did you get to the expect FC level?

You may want to run a test of your fill water. This tells you what you are adding due to evaporation. Tap water should have minimal FC (but still test), and if you have a water softener, that may affect if you can read CH. But it is all good practice and provides good data for future needs.

I notice there is no calculation for CSI. Did you put in temperature? That is needed
Also, note that your pH is high and your CYA is a little low. Also, it is best to put your CYA in decade numbers, 30, 40, etc. The scale between is logarithmic and not easy to determine between the major lines. So your CYA would be 40.

Reactions: quadracer316
Always round CYA up to the next 10's, so consider yours to be 40.

Your pH is high, so use Pool Math to determine how much muriatic acid to add to drop it to 7.2.

Your FC is too low. Add enough liquid chlorine to bring it to 4. Test it daily for several days and dose each day to bring it back to 4. You could even go higher for a little extra safety margin against algae. 6 would be fine. It's safe to swim up to 40% of what your CYA measures, so 16 for you. After a while you'll have an idea of how much you need to add each day and you can reduce your testing to every 3 or 4 days. But never let it fall below 3 or you'll be in danger of an algae bloom.

Test your pH weekly and lower to 7.2-7.8 with MA. Over time, this will lower your TA as well. For now, I wouldn't worry any more about it.

Reactions: quadracer316
On the TA test, new bottles of reagent can build up a static charge. Redo the TA test and wipe the tip of the bottles with a damp paper towel between each drop to discharge the static. After a half dozen or so tests, the static will be gone and you won't need to wipe the tip any longer.

For all the tests, hold the liquid reagent bottles perfectly vertical, let each drop fully form on the tip (don't force them off - let each drop fall from the tip). About one drop every second is about the drop rate you are looking for.

Thanks for the help and advice. I did use the 25ml for TA. I stop when the color turns pinkish red.....is that right? I retested this morning after I added recommended amounts from last nights test. I have well water I use for makeup and will test that tonight after work. I did just fill the pool around 1 month ago completely with well water. I added some 73% cal hypo to try and get my fc up this morning. I guess I thought CSI didn't relate to me.....I will have to check that and see where I'm at. I will dig back into pool school and brush up on csi. Thanks again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-075619.jpg
    Screenshot_20220628-075619.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3
The target is 5-7 and the minimum is 3. You do not want to get caught at 3. You need to have enough chlorine to neutralize germs/UV/bather load so when you test again it's above 3 so you are at less risk of an algae bloom.

My pool has a CYA of 40. I top the fc off at 10.A1E067EB-F0A4-40EE-B17C-665D9F79DE7E.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.