Silver Supporter
May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know I'm overthinking this but here goes.

I'm having someone close the pool but I'll manage my own chemicals. Pool is schedule to close on 10/25 so a little less than 2 weeks. According to Loop-Loc, my water needs to be 15-18" below the top of the pool. Base on that, I need to lower another 4" but I have to lower water gradually because it has to be drained to the yard. If I try to drain 4" of water all at once, I'll flood my yard and my neighbors yard.

Right now, the water is just at the top of the return jet casing. If I lower the water gradually, the returns are going to eventually be "exposed" and no longer under water. That will happen when I drain about 2" more. But I still need the returns functional in order to add chlorine over the next week and then bring to SLAM level before closing.

How the heck do I lower the water level gradually to loop-loc level and still have functional returns? When the returns are exposed and no longer under water can I still use them and they will just send the water back into the pool like a fountain? Or do returns function best when actually covered by water?

Do you have main drains ? You can lower the water and pull from them instead of the skimmers if they are high and dry too. The returns will still mix the water plenty.

6C3A340D-FE68-4860-903E-6B17A0F5EDA8.jpeg47AAD3B3-5F7D-41BD-A3E4-D6103DF2B15F.jpeg

*or*. Get bungee plugs for the returns and blow through Gizzmos for the skimmer(s). Have them blow out the lines and put the cover on with the pool full. Pop a corner afterwards to drain slowly with a submersible pump.

Lotta ways to skin this cat. (y)

Reactions: V___25
We are on public sewer. We do have a sewer clean out in the front of yard (I assume that's what that white cap is). The wastewater system is owned by PA American Water and apparently they don't want residents draining pool water into the sewer clean outs. Does that sound normal? I know draining into the storm drains is a no-no.

NewDude, yes I have one main drain. The skimmer has been dry for about 2 weeks now so I've been using that to circulate my water and slowly lower.

The water is definitely lower, it's down about a foot from the bottom of the coping/top of the liner.

Like I said, I know I'm overthinking this.

Reactions: Newdude
No real reason to not put pool water in a sewer clean out. They just do not understand pool water chemistry.

Why I asked is that is where you should be draining the pool if it floods the yard. You should be using a sump pump, not your pool pump, to drain water from the pool.

The wastewater system is owned by PA American Water and apparently they don't want residents draining pool water into the sewer clean outs. Does that sound normal? I know draining into the storm drains is a no-no.
I think the issue with dumping pool water into a sewer clean out may come down to the wastewater treatment facility's desire not to burden their system with water that does not need to be treated. I know where I live there has been a concerted effort to limit rainwater infiltration into the waste water system. I suppose you could logically lump pool water into this if your objective is to limit the gallons treated.

If their system is effected by 20 gallons a minute or less being added for an hour or two, they have significant issues.

Reactions: BK MAC
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.