Lowering the PH before closing for the season

Lowering your pH to 6.0 can cause etching and damage your plaster.

A high pH is less damaging to plaster then a low pH.

What is your TA?

It is natural for a closed pool pH to rise above 8. It ususally causes no problems or damage. You just knock it down upon opening.

Okay, for some reason, when I open the pool in the spring the pool surface (plaster) is a bit rough and I hate draining the pool and polishing it again, I thought is was because of the PH. so something else is causing it to be rough. Any thoughts on that?

It's probably a bit of scale that you an get rid of naturally by running your CSI at between -0.3 and -0.6 for a few weeks after opening. Usually that is easy to do since the water is cold.

Do you use PoolMath and watch your Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool ?

Scaling and etching are different things and opposite ends of the CSI range. A negative CSI (typically associated with low pH) will etch (remove) plaster. A positive CSI (associated with high pH) will scale (deposit) calcium on plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.