Lowering TA

Welcome, AKA. I just cross-posted, but for tonight, for reasons below, why not just try for 5 or maybe a bit higher, eg 7 and see where you're at in am.

Here's my original post:

I am wondering about your filter pressure. I know you didn't want to be backwashing because you had to refill from the well, but if your pressure is 25% above clean pressure, you should be backwashing for your filter to work correctly.

Re: bad well water....I have an old well with lotsa iron, maganese and sulphur...I use this to help pre filter, and also add sometimes from a softened spigot:
Amazon.com : Pre Fresh Garden Hose End Water Filter all purpose, pool, spa, hot tub, pets, car wash : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

I'm not sure from your pics if that's algae or not, and SLAMMING might oxidize any metals in your well water. Maybe your best bet is to first make sure the filter is doing its job by backwashing and topping up the water and running your FC just a bit higher to make sure your not getting the beginnings of algae and see if it clears.

Before slamming, you might want to consider getting one of the two TFP recommended metal sequestrants, Proteam Metal Magic or Jack's Magic if you have any reason to believe your well water has metals. (I get mne at Pool Chemicals, Hot Tub Chemicals and Supplies | Pool Geek )

Technically speaking, you're not suppose to shock/slam for a week after using a startup dose of metal sequestrant, so you might want to first get a feel for whether or not you have algae growing (you did pass the overnigt chlorine losstest, right? Which would mean you shouldn't be fighting organics...but adding a few extra ppm might not hurt.)

Hope this helps. Pools on well can be a bit of a "pita" in the beginning but a sand filter doing its job, vigilant regular FC maintenance (to AVOID shocking) and sequestrants will keep you in the clear, so no worries ;)

Cheers to your new pool!

Yes that is correct. Add now, test in an hour after sun is down. Then test in the morning before sun is all the way up before the sun is up. I tested just as the sun was coming up befor it hit the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Swampwoman has some good points too. Do the OLCT and that will at least determine if there is any organic mater in there.

I will do a oclt. My startup pressure on this sand filter was 14 psi. I am currently at 14 psi. And the return jet blows out debris like the picture. I purchased a slime bag last night for the return to help catch most of that debris that gets by the filter. It hopefully will be here tomorrow. Do you think that will help or did I waste $50? Thank you Azgirl71 and swampwoman for your help. You are great.

I've been enjoying learning how to take care of a pool with this site. I caught on to the pool store gimmick real quick. So hopefully I will learn fast because I don't have any old habits. I also learned that 12.5% chlorine will drop to 5% in a hot shed real quickly. It took looking thru notes and reverse engineering pool math to figure that one out. [emoji12] I feel so much smarter than my friends that have had pools for years because of all the people and resources here and a sweet tf-100 test kit.

I've been enjoying learning how to take care of a pool with this site. I caught on to the pool store gimmick real quick. So hopefully I will learn fast because I don't have any old habits. I also learned that 12.5% chlorine will drop to 5% in a hot shed real quickly. It took looking thru notes and reverse engineering pool math to figure that one out. [emoji12] I feel so much smarter than my friends that have had pools for years because of all the people and resources here and a sweet tf-100 test kit.
:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.