Lowering TA

May 21, 2013
New Jersey
My TA has been at 150 for about a week despite adding about 42-48 ounces of muriatic acid to lower the PH to 7.0. I then aerate to raise ph to 7.2-7.4. Today after aerating for 2days. Ph was back up to 7.2 but TA has not moved.
I am considering adding a substantial amount of muriatic acid to lower the ph to 6.5 range then aerating to bring it back up., but I wanted to ask for opinions. All other test are within appropriate range.

Please don't intentionally acidify your water and potentially damage your liner over your TA level.

There is very little reason to actively attempt to lower the TA level in a pool. It will naturally cause the pH to rise and correcting that as it happens will lower the TA until an equilibrium is reached. Other than causing the pH to rise faster than normal a high TA doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
I agree. Leave it alone.

I question whether your TA is really that high anyway, because pH generally pops back up a lot faster when you drive it way down with high TA. You may have static electricity on the R-009 if that's a new bottle. Let us know and we'll tell you how to deal with it.

What are the rest of your readings? About 1/3 of CYA will show up as TA, so if it's off the scale, so is TA, and no amount of muriatic acid will lower the CYA portion.

Here are my results for the last 2 days. My R009 is old and I have a new bottle on the way. So I’m going to stand fast until I’m able to test with the new bottle. Overall I’m happy with the pools current condition, and have since converted 2 neighbors.

Attachments

• 19C6FA54-1DCA-4563-BB96-2D3EFB0A8666.png
    19C6FA54-1DCA-4563-BB96-2D3EFB0A8666.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 18
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.