Low ta - high side ph

RobertFT

Jun 27, 2020
Phoenix Az
I have a 12000 gal pebble tec salt water pool. My cya is low at 45 vs normal range 70-80 so I plan to add more stabilizer to fix that. Free chlorine looks ok right now but I’ll check again after stabilizer add. Then my total alkalinity is low at 53 vs target 60-80 while my ph is already at the high end of the range 7.8. Do I need to add sodium bicarbonate to raise the alkalinity (which will likely increase ph out of range) and then a day later add muriatic acid to bring the ph back into range?

Hey there Robert..welcome to TFP!
I am guessin' those are pool store results....right? We avoid making any recommendations based on often inaccurate pool store results. Correct me if I'm wrong??

Have you read thru pool school to see what our recommended levels are?

Maddie

Your assumption about baking soda raising the pH is not quite right......it has little effect on pH

Here's the rule......

Lower pH - use muriatic....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH

Your assumption about baking soda raising the pH is not quite right......it has little effect on pH

Here's the rule......

Lower pH - use muriatic....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH
Thanks for response. I'll try to add some baking soda to increase the alkalinity and then retest pH level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.