Low suction pressure, return still okay

Jun 21, 2018
Baltimore MD
So. Long story short, I did not have a chance to close my pool properly last fall. Naturally, when I tried to open it this spring, I had the Green Monster. A bit beyond green, actually. So I started to SLAM it, and it's at least cloudy green now and not OH WHAT WILL THE NEIGHBORS THINK? So I'm definitely on the right track, and need to keep going. That part is all good.

After a couple of days of having the filter basket just full of gunge and needing to be cleaned out several times a day, the skimmer basket is no longer collecting anything. The return seems okay.....a tad bit week, but enough to keep things going around on the surface. The pressure reading is 18psi, maybe a couple psi over normal, but nothing alarming. But in the skimmer basket.....seems like no suction, things just drift around in there.

I have an 18' AGP with a cartridge filter system. I am *assuming* I have simply overwhelmed the capabilities of my filter. I tried cleaning it, but nothing changed. I have a new filter arriving tomorrow. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I should look at? I looked at the pre-filter basket, but that was clean as a whistle, so I am guessing the impeller is not clogged. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
Low flow rate with algae filled water is normally a plugged filter. Can you fill out a signature so we know more about your pool and its equipment? Always clean your filter when your filter pressure rises by 25% over clean filter pressure.
Are you following the SLAM Process process to clear your pool?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I'd like to piggy back on this question and ask about the ramifications of a plugged filter. How does one clear a plugged filter? I may start a new thread with my own particular problem, thought I'd follow-up on the original poster's issue first.

I'd like to piggy back on this question and ask about the ramifications of a plugged filter. How does one clear a plugged filter? I may start a new thread with my own particular problem, thought I'd follow-up on the original poster's issue first.
Start a new thread. And it is real helpful if you can tell us the model number of your filter (if readable) and if it's the bump-type with a lever-like handle on top, or does it have a push-pull valve on the side, or a multiport valve (rotary type dial)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.