Low suction pressure at one of two skimmers

Jun 12, 2017
Lake Elmo, MN
First, a big thank you to the TFP community. Bought a home with a pool last fall, having never owned a pool, and have learned enough here to keep the pool all sparkly. I thoroughly enjoy understanding the how/why of the pool rather than simply outsourcing and spending blindly.

I have a question about the plumbing.

I have 2 skimmers and a main drain. Each has a separate line to the pump. I can open or close each skimmer and the main drain independently. One skimmer -- the deep end skimmer furthest from the equipment pad -- has significantly lower suction. Seemingly as a result I have a "dead zone" where cottonwood seeds, leaves, and other floaty things accumulate.

If I close the shallow-end skimmer and main drain valves the suction at the deep end skimmer increases, but the sound at the pump is one of churning water in the basket and the pump seems a little strained (which does not occur when leaving open only the shallow-end skimmer). No air seems to be entering the system however as I don't see bubbles at the return jets.

1) Should the suction pressure at each skimmer be about the same?
2) Is there a way to measure the flow pressure? I have a pressure gauge on the filter and another on the multiport valve. Will readings on those tell me anything (i.e. clogged line), or do I need a flow meter of some sort?

s,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners with flow issues... :snorkle:

Often pumps can't suck enough water through long small pipes so the pump seems to run out of water.. I would assume this is the issue.

But, it could also be that your skimmer line is particularly blocked. You can use a "Drain King" to force water back from the pump toward your non-working skimmer and see if you can get anything to come out.

The easiest thing to do would be to set your Main Drain off or at 10%, set your weak skimmer wide open and your other skimmer as closed as you can, yet still having some skimmer action.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.