low pressure

Sep 14, 2013
sorry if i'm in the wrong spot. you guys have changed since i was last here. Looks very very nice. Good job. My question is and i looked for a search icon, I have very low pressure when i try to vacuum or backwash. I have bubbles goes out into the pool telling me air, but i can't find any leaks as far as water is concerned. Do i need to shut everything down and take the head off of the filter and make sure there is free flow?
I don't know.
16 x 32 above ground
4 feet deep
hayward sand filter
using chlorine

sorry if i'm in the wrong spot. you guys have changed since i was last here. Looks very very nice. Good job. My question is and i looked for a search icon, I have very low pressure when i try to vacuum or backwash. I have bubbles goes out into the pool telling me air, but i can't find any leaks as far as water is concerned. Do i need to shut everything down and take the head off of the filter and make sure there is free flow?
I don't know.
16 x 32 above ground
4 feet deep
hayward sand filter
using chlorine
I was getting a large bubble under my pump lid and my pressure had dropped quite a bit. Someone on here had posted about a 5 minute backwash in a post I read here. I had a decent rain a few weeks ago and needed to drain the pool down a bit. So I tried a 5 minute backwash and and my pressure shot way back up. I backwash several times a year and backwashed a week or two before, but only two minutes. You could try that or try to deep clean your sand filter. I still get some bubbles in the lid which I discovered was being caused by things such as my skimmer robot getting stuck in the skimmer. When this happens I found that running my filter in recirculate on the primer setting for about 30 seconds gets rid them. Also if your weir door isn’t working or if your water level isn’t quite right your pump can suck air though the skimmer. Also try replacing and lubing the large o ring gasket for your pool pump.

I was getting a large bubble under my pump lid and my pressure had dropped quite a bit. Someone on here had posted about a 5 minute backwash in a post I read here. I had a decent rain a few weeks ago and needed to drain the pool down a bit. So I tried a 5 minute backwash and and my pressure shot way back up. I backwash several times a year and backwashed a week or two before, but only two minutes. You could try that or try to deep clean your sand filter. I still get some bubbles in the lid which I discovered was being caused by things such as my skimmer robot getting stuck in the skimmer. When this happens I found that running my filter in recirculate on the primer setting for about 30 seconds gets rid them. Also if your weir door isn’t working or if your water level isn’t quite right your pump can suck air though the skimmer. Also try replacing and lubing the large o ring gasket for your pool pump.
deep cleaned filter. my normal pressure is 10psi when normal operation. When i attempt to vacuum, the pressure goes almost to zero and i don't have much suction with my vacuum. i've checked for leaks and the seal is good on the filter head. i'm at a loss for ideas..

deep cleaned filter. my normal pressure is 10psi when normal operation. When i attempt to vacuum, the pressure goes almost to zero and i don't have much suction with my vacuum. i've checked for leaks and the seal is good on the filter head. i'm at a loss for ideas..
If you have ruled out all the easy stuff, checked everything, valves ect, you might want to get the lines pressure tested.

Do you need to move any of your valves to vacuum? If not then I would really suspect a leak in your vacuum hose (or hose is plugged) .
i also noticed that when the dial is in the filter mode on the head that there isn't any water in the glass bowl. there is water in the bowl when i backwash and rinse. I have a hayward vari flo xl filter head on my filter.
thanks

i also noticed that when the dial is in the filter mode on the head that there isn't any water in the glass bowl. there is water in the bowl when i backwash and rinse. I have a hayward vari flo xl filter head on my filter.
thanks
Glass bowl? Do you mean sight glass? Could be the spider gasket on your valve is going bad possibly.

Something is amiss. i shut the pump off and the backflow shoots the skimmer basket out on the deck. Don't know what could be stopped up.....?
When you shut off your pump, the skimmer basket shoots out of the skimmer and onto your deck???!!! :oops: I don’t even know where to begin with that one! There are some pool builders on this forum, hopefully they will chime in. They will probably want you to post pictures of your equipment pad and pool, so you might as well go ahead and post those...

Last edited:
Something is amiss. i shut the pump off and the backflow shoots the skimmer basket out on the deck. Don't know what could be stopped up.....?
It could be air in your filter causing that. You could try bleeding off some air from your filter, then shut off the pump and see if it still does that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.