low PH, TA and CYA

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
I need some advice on what chemicals to add before a slam. At opening, PH was extremely high at 8.0 or probably higher. TA was 60, calcium was 120, CC was .5 and CYA appeared to be 0 or possibly 20. I immediately added some muriatic acid to lower the PH and it looks like I didn’t eyeball it correctly and added too much. Now the PH appears to be 7.0 (or less) and TA appears to be 40. A local pool store that uses a Taylor test kit says the PH is actually 6.8, TA is 40, CYA is 20, FC was 0 and CC is still .5. I did the base test and it appeared to turn to the desired PH color (7.2) after 2 drops. Should I add anything to increase the PH and TA or leave it alone since the chlorine will bring the PH up during the Slam? If I need to increase it, what should I add and how much? I also need to add some stabilizer since cya is zero or possibly 20 like the pool store claims. I bought some liquid cya so I could get it into the water faster. If I need to increase PH, TA and CYA, which do I add first and how long do I need to wait after adding each one before I can start the slam.

Last edited:
I would add some baking soda to up the TA to 50. You can use Pool Math to know how much. You can add any chemicals you want at the same time aside from MA and Chlorine. Go ahead and add them, give 30 mins with pump on to mix, re-test. pH of 7.0 would be fine to start, don’t worry too hard on being perfect.

Thanks! I already bought some soda ash. Could I use that instead since it increases PH and TA at the same time? I thought about baking soda but pool math calculator says it won’t increase PH much and I’d have to add a lot if it. I have 4 lbs of baking soda but that won’t be enough to get TA up to 50. I could go get more if that would be preferable though.

Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change
Borax = Big pH change, small TA change
Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change. Probably more TA change than you want.

Reactions: ba67
I also need to add some stabilizer since cya is zero or possibly 20 like the pool store claims. I bought some liquid cya so I could get it into the water faster. If I need to increase PH, TA and CYA, which do I add first and how long do I need to wait after adding each one before I can start the slam.
Use your soda ash to raise pH since you have it right at hand. Make a quick lap around the pool with the brush to set up some crosscurrents and get it mixed real good. What's that? Ten minutes? Fifteen? Good enough. Add the CYA and if it doesn't mix well, use the brush on it, too. Brushing is a major of a SLAM, so it will have to be done anyway. Then reach for the bleach. Don't waste a lot of time overthinking things. Algae is growing as I type.

Reactions: IceShadow
I tested the PH and TA after an hour and it increased the PH enough but not the alkalinity. Can I add some baking soda to bump TA up to 50 at the same time that I add the liquid CYA? Bottle of liquid CYA says to wait 4 hours to shock so I’m glad to learn that I don’t have to do this.

I tested the PH and TA after an hour and it increased the PH enough but not the alkalinity. Can I add some baking soda to bump TA up to 50 at the same time that I add the liquid CYA? Bottle of liquid CYA says to wait 4 hours to shock so I’m glad to learn that I don’t have to do this.
I wouldn't add them together. One after the other, with some brushing in between to ensure it mixes and spreads, is okay.

I've never used the Liquid Gold to raise CYA so I am totally unaware of any cautions about waiting. They might have a good reason for that.

Last edited:
I added the baking soda and TA is showing up as 50 now but PH is registering 8.0. I didn’t add enough soda ash to get it that high and the calculator says the baking soda shouldn’t have raised the PH that much. Does it take awhile for the ph to stabilize after adding soda ash and baking soda? Can I go ahead and slam or should I lower the PH, or wait awhile longer to see if it goes down?

I added the baking soda and TA is showing up as 50 now but PH is registering 8.0. I didn’t add enough soda ash to get it that high and the calculator says the baking soda shouldn’t have raised the PH that much. Does it take awhile for the ph to stabilize after adding soda ash and baking soda? Can I go ahead and slam or should I lower the PH, or wait awhile longer to see if it goes down?
Let it mix. You might have grabbed a sample where it was concentrated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let it mix. You might have grabbed a sample where it was concentrated.
I appreciate the advice. I'm going to postpone the slam until in the morning and give it time to mix. I might add the liquid cya later tonight so it will have time to mix as well, like the manufacturer recommends. If the PH doesn't go down by morning, should I lower it with muriatic acid or just go ahead and Slam?

I appreciate the advice. I'm going to postpone the slam until in the morning and give it time to mix. I might add the liquid cya later tonight so it will have time to mix as well, like the manufacturer recommends. If the PH doesn't go down by morning, should I lower it with muriatic acid or just go ahead and Slam?
You'll have to lower it. That's part of the SLAM Process instructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.