Low flow help

May 25, 2012
Syracuse, NY
Hi, turned put it all back together this year and there is very low water pressure from water coming back into the pool. I would say I'm getting about 20% of normal flow. Pressure on filter looks higher than normal.

We have the pump, catridge filter, propane header then back to pool. I've cleaned the filter in the fall and then again yesterday, it looks ok to me, not sure what it looks like when it needs to be replaced. Unscrewed all the pvc to make sure there wasn't a blockage. Nothing in skimmer or pump basket. Took bucket off pump and made sure impeller turned and nothing was stuck in there.

SIde note, propane heater just keeps cycling for 30 seconds, turns off then comes back on.I've turned it off for now. Could the heater be the issue with the flow as well? I've looked inside and can't really see if there would be a blockage in there. I have the input/output covered up over the winter so nothing could get in there. Maybe the cycling issue is from the low flow.

Don't know what else to check. Pool company isn't coming for another week, maybe I can fix before then and cancel that appointment. Thanks.

Heater - Pentair MasterTemp 125
Filter - Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter Only, 150 sq ft
Pump - Pentair Optiflow

Jon,

Take the cartridge out and run it and see what happens. I suspect that your flow will return to normal.

If it does, you will know the cartridge is the issue.

Did you use Floc or Clarifier last year? Using the wrong products can clog the filter in a way that will not just hose off.

Let us know how that test works.

Thanks,

Jim R.

No floc or clarifier last year. I took out cartridge and nothing changed.

Here is a pic of the setup and a video. There is a sound coming from water area within heater. Think this is where the issue is. I had the inlet and outlet off heater yesterday and didn’t see anything in there. They were sealed up over the winter too.

Jon,

I don't see anything obvious, but here are some random thoughts.

Can your filter be connected backwards? Not sure yours even has an Input and Output side???

Messy, but you could disconnect the input to the heater and see what kind of flow you had, and then do the same test after your heater and compare the results of the tests.

Let's see if we can get some of our other member to chime in.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.