Low flow after overheat/deadhead

roblectric

May 30, 2009
Accidentally deadheaded one of my pumps. Valves were closed at the feed and the filter input. The water in the pump output pipe got hot enough to swell and break glue seals. I replaced the damaged pipe and hoped for the best. The pump started and ran ok, but the flow is nowhere near what it was before. I separated the pump from the motor checking for a damaged impeller but everything looked fine. Any suggestions?

All seals check ok. The pump basket has finally primed full with no air bubble. My pressure guage was bad so I replaced it and found that backwash, recirc,and filter were operating at 28psi. Waste and rinse were 15psi.
This pump recirculates water back to the main pool through 10 pop up infloor cleaners, a rock bubbler, and waterfall. Isolating either of those features does not change the psi. Logic makes me point a finger at the filter but I just installed it last year without any of these issues.
Any suggestions to pinpoint the issue are appreciated.

What PSI are you getting?

Can you list all the things you specifically checked or changed on your pump?

All seals checked for leaks and relubed. Impeller inspection was normal. Prime rpm and full rpm change as program dictates. Prime rpm is 2500 @15psi. Normal operating rpm 3450 @ 28psi. Waste and rinse = 15psi. Filter, recirc, and backwash @30psi.

I did not disassemble the multiport valve for inspection due to the difficulty with the assembly process. Arthritis sucks.
Filter is a Hayward 256T. Pump is Jandy Intelliflo 1.5hp

Your low flow is unlikely to be in the MPV.

I suspect something in the pump wet end warped from the overheating.
The water in the pump output pipe got hot enough to swell and break glue seals. I replaced the damaged pipe and hoped for the best.

Where was the damaged pipe located?

Post pics showing us your pool equipment and which glue seals broke.

If the pump is suspect, I will swap it with my other identical pump and see if the high pressure moves with it.
Will post pics later.
Kind of embarrassed to show the work of an amateur plumber.

What problem are we trying to fix at this point?

High pressure?

Low flow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
filter.jpgfilter.jpgYou are correct JW. Thanks for the help.

The pump can be ruled out. The swap changed nothing.

Now thinking of some king of restriction to flow on the return side of the filter. The infloor cleaner distribution head
is now suspected of dodgy behavior. If debris somehow made it's way in there, it's possible the screen is clogged.
Any other suggestions are welcome.
pipes.jpgpipes.jpgpump.jpgpump.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.