Walnutport, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Well, it's been a hot minute since I;ve needed to post in here. Huge thanks for the zillion Pool School articles I've referenced the past two summers since installing our pool. So thankful to TFP!

I tried a search, and found a thread from 2011 with the answer - but want to be sure the recommendation hasn't changed. Low CYA when closing - acceptable? We are still swimming here in eastern PA and don't plan to close anytime soon. But my CYA is at 30 (FC at 11 and no algea present that I can see) - wondering if I should add some now or just wait until spring. Swimming has slowed - not a daily thing, maybe 2-3 a week. And no crazy playdates with kids splashing like feral animals - just us.

Thanks!

pool.jpg

If you’re closing soon I’d pass on adding CYA. I doubt you’re seeing a large chlorine drop each day and the cover will take care of things once you close. Enjoy the water and don’t worry about CYA.

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome back Tara !! You had a mesh cover, right ? I closed mine every fall with 70 or 80 and the 3 ft of off season rain, plus the natural breakdown of CYA over time left me with 20 or less come spring. It’s expensive to waste most of it if your FC is holding fine now in the late season.

Do you have a pool heater? I'm south of you and my waters already too cold to swim... thinking of adding a HP to extend the season
Sorry for the delayed reply!

We just got a heater this past spring (a heat pump). I was surprised at how little it cost to run. We used it to warm the water in spring and fall - NOT to get to temps like 90 during the summer, lol. I just shut it off this week actually. We are lazy and don't use our solar cover, but if we did, I'm sure it would be ideal for helping to hold the heat in overnight. But yes, I am thrilled we got it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.