Low cya and other issues

Jan 12, 2018
Frisco TX
Hello,

So this is my first season following advice of TFP. This is only my second year being a pool owner. My readings are as follows:

FC 5
CC .5 or less
pH 7.8
CH 275
TA 90
CYA 20

A few nights ago I did an OCLT and loss more than 1 ppm. I new something was up. I had a huge bather load over the last 10 days and tried to keep up to the best of my ability. I added lots of water back to the pool, each night, over the last week and half due to an infinite amount of cannonballs.

Obviously, I need to raise my CYA and SLAM. However, I am unsure about how to go about doing so.

Should I buy stabilizer? I have 99% trichlor pucks and 73% cal-hypo from last pool season. Should I use the pucks to raise CYA?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The pucks will add the CYA too slowly.

I would suggest adding about 10ppm of CYA, then following the SLAM process.
After that you could use the tablets to continue to bump up your CYA some while also adding the FC and lowering the pH.

Hello...

One thing you want to do before you SLAM is bring your pH down to 7.2. Use PoolMath.
Also, you'll want to add a stabilizer (granular) to your pool to bring your CYA to 30. Again use PoolMath. For CYA addition, use the sock method by adding the granular in a sock and hang it close to your return jet. You can gently massage the sock to dissolve the granular once you have it hanging in your pool. It speeds up the process a bit. You don't have to wait until the stabilizer is dissolves before you start to SLAM. With a CYA of 30 your FC shock level should be 12. See the FC/CYA. Maintain your shock level until you pass all three criteria at Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT).

I get mine at Walmart. Usually Clorox or Poolife brand I think.

Be aware of some sold through amazon lately. Members have reported it not raising CYA levels appropriately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.