Low chlorine reading

the bather load is pretty much zero. i have been in it twice only for 15 minutes. and i'm the only one. too cold for my wife.
i cant believe there is any algae, the water is crystal clear, the phosphates came in as zero at the pool store. the walls dont seem slimy/slippery.
i've been putting the tabs in the chlorinator and they are disappearing at a steady rate, doesnt seem to be a leak anywhere. it is an off-line chlorinator.
it has been sunny the last few days, nothing crazy though low 80s to mid 80s

You have been getting good info.

Even though your water is clear, it sounds like you have a nascent algae bloom. It is not yet visible, but it eats chlorine! By adding the chlorine bits at a time, as you are, you are just staying ahead of it, but not really killing it....it's consuming the chlorine as you add it. So you need to shock.

You need a good test kit to put you in control of your pool.

i am going to get the taylor k-2006 tomorrow to get more accurate readings.
they used this kit at the pool store yesterday before i super-chlorinated, and they told me the FAC was 0.5ppm and the TAC was 0.5ppm, which makes 0ppm CC right?
Also in my first post i wrote CC instead of TAC. so the readings i got myself were similar to the pool store. TAC 1ppm and FAC 0.5ppm, but then i again i used the test strips and not the taylor kit. i'm not sure how accurate the test strips are.

If i do have organic matter then i have to superchlorinate again? did i not achieve superchlorination:?:
how do you make sure if you achieve superchlorination? I added all the shock at once in the amount suggested by the pool calculator.

Directions on How to Shock your Pool are in Pool School here: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Shocking your pool is NOT a one time addition of chlorine, it is a process. And, the process is not complete until you meet three criteria: See red line in my sig.

Make sure the test kit you get is the Taylor K-2006 and not the 2005 that PS's usually try to sell.

Normally, the Taylor K-2006 is not available at pool stores, but only online. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck, as it has more reagents and can do more tests for the $$. Test kits are compared in Pool School.

couldnt get k-2006 or TF100 in store like you said. ordered it online. it didnt arrive yet.
shock the Crud out of the pool yesterday around 4pm. TAC and FAC both greater than 10 when i went to bed last night. Both greater than tonight as well, 24 hours later. pool is crystal clear. used the new polaris robot to scrub all the walls and vacuum up any dead algae. Guess i am good and finally achieved superchlorination.
Just waiting for the levels to go down now so i can swim in it.
Calcium Hardness 250
TAC 10+
FAC 10+
pH 7.4
CYA 50
TA 100

Got the TF-100 test kit today

These are my numbers

FC 18
CC 1
TC 19
pH 7.2
T/A 120
CH 230
CYA 80
Temp 79

I realize the TC and FC are high, but it is safe to swim in right?
Also i know have CC 1, should I shock again or not because the TC is high?
I turned my Off-line chlorinator off since the TC and FC are high. I was gonna measure them everyday and then turn it back on once i reach target FC of 9.
Thoughts?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So last nights numbers were these more than 30 minutes after last chlorine addition.

FC 18
CC 1
TC 19
pH 7.2
T/A 120
CH 230
CYA 80
Temp 79

Checked the chlorine readings again this morning at 6 am

FC 16.5ppm
CC still 1ppm

Did i pass the FC overnight test? I might have been going slightly to quick with the drops. might have been 17.5 last night and not 18 for the FC.

Shocked with Leslie's Fresh N' Clear as i figured i didnt need to add anymore chlorine.

Checked it again tonight.

FC still 16.5
CC now 0.5 (very light pink color though after adding the re-agent, i guess the kit is only accurate to 0.5ppm, i am guessing it might be slightly less than 0.5ppm)

Pool is crystal clear

Good to go???

Shocked with Leslie's Fresh N' Clear as i figured i didnt need to add anymore chlorine.
Using mps (fresh n clear) in the middle of performing the OCLT may have negated your results. BBB involves not putting things into the pool when you are not sure of the outcome. Stick with following the directions in Pool School and stick with chlorine.

The TF100 is actually accurate to .2ppm.

Use the 25ml sample instructions.

25ml sample, each drop =.2ppm
-vs-
10ml sample, each drop =.5ppm

Only use chlorine from now on. Shock is not a product, it is a process. You will not be disappointed, promise. You do not need those pool store chemicals. Sell them on craigslist, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.