Low chlorine after closing with polyquat

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A pool pro closed my inground pool yesterday. He encountered a problem during closing and had to drain my pool past my returns and fill the pool back up with water afterwards until water reached the bottom of my skimmer. I was worried that the water addition might have lowered my chlorine level and it looks like my fears were justified. After adding the polyquat, my chlorine level had lowered to 4 ppm, and after water was added, it lowered it down to 2 ppm. I’m concerned that it could go down more since I added polyquat which consumes chlorine and my mesh cover lets in some light and water. Since I closed with polyquat and my water temperature was 60 degrees at closing, how likely is it that I could develop an algae bloom over the winter that could permanently stain my pool? I don’t know an easy way to add chlorine to my pool since it is winterized and my loop lock mesh cover is hard to get on and off. I’m also concerned that if I added chlorine now, polyquat would consume the chlorine since it was recently added. I realize that I will probably open up to algae now but my biggest fear is that I will have stains that are impossible to remove if algae develops really soon and stays in the pool for the next 6 months. My pool pro thinks I will be fine without adding more chlorine as long as I open back up in mid April but I wanted to check on here to see what others think. Any advice would be appreciated.

Poolnewbie:

From what I have seen, the chlorine drop is instant. You should not have more loss just because the Poly60 is there. You are fine with this weather. There really is not that much of a difference from 8 ppm to 2 ppm if algae starts as your chlorine will be consumed in less than a few days. The algaecide will last in the pool until spring, and even if it does not, the weather will stall algae almost completely. As an FYI, your pool opening is more important. Do not open later than last week of April or when water temperature exceeds 60 degrees.

Even if you have the slightest green, the SLAM will go very quickly in April. I have not opened up to any green pool (ever), even though pool was closed as early as September 15th, but never opened later than last week of April. Although, I have a solid tarp. A mesh cover requires the pool to be opened early. You can even peel back cover, remove returns, Gizzmo's or plugs, get the system running, add a little chlorine and leave running with cover on for a few hours a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.