Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello all
My pump's motor has been making louder than usual noises when it runs on a faster or slower speed.
It almost sounds like a metallic grinding noise of sorts. The metal cover of the control panel of the pump rattles some times, but this is not that noise.
The pumps basket is clean, and my skimmer has a hair net "filter" on it.

Should I take the motor off to check if something is stuck on the impeller? Though that wouldn't cause a noise, no?

Thanks

Thanks Pat
The motor is 3 years old.
It's a small video cause video files are big.
I lean towards definitely bearings grinding.

Attachments

• VID20230525124422.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
How old is the pump?

Is it leaking any water out of the bottom near the motor/pump interface?

It sounds like the beginning stages of bearing failure.

Reactions: Texas Splash
How old is the pump?

Is it leaking any water out of the bottom near the motor/pump interface?

It sounds like the beginning stages of bearing failure.
3 years old with no leaks.
If it is the bearings, are they easy to replace?

You would need a bearing puller.

But I would not do that until you are sure it is the bearings. The first step is to remove the motor from the wet end and see if there is any interference with the impeller and housing. Also, spin the impeller by hand and feel for any resistance.

Reactions: nabril15
An update.
I painly took the motor off which is tough because of the control panel on top limiting wrench space.
1. The impeller looked clean and in normal shape. With the motor standing up, the timer came on, so the motor was spinning away, and it was fairly quieter than in the horizontal and mounted position.
2. The bottom of the motor barrel had some rust and looked as though it wasn't quite round. You can see that in the pictures.
3. Inside the back cover of the motor, I found some white "soap scum-looking" stuff that resembles the acid that accumulates around a car battery terminal. I cleaned it out, and it didn't smell like anything identifiable.

1. What might the warranty be on this? That rusting at the bottom shouldn't be happening so soon, no. Chunks of the casing easily came off. Can I attempt a claim?

2. I attached audio files of the noise.

3. What next?

Attachments

• IMG20230527155559.jpg
    IMG20230527155559.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20230527155436.jpg
    IMG20230527155436.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20230527155342.jpg
    IMG20230527155342.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20230527155421.jpg
    IMG20230527155421.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20230527161628.jpg
    IMG20230527161628.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The audio

Attachments

• pool pump motor high speed.wav.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • pool pump lower speed.wav.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
White corrosion is usually from aluminum and could be galvanic corrosion.

Is the motor bonded?

Since you live in a fairly wet region, have you done anything to keep the motor dry?
Good morning Mark
All of my pool equipment is inside a wooden "box shelter" that I built with some thin slits for ventilation. However, aparently I need to prevent water from accumulating underneath. Or perhaps that rust is from a leak from the pump itself...??

What do yoh mean if my motor is bonded?

Attachments

• IMG-20210131-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210131-WA0002.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 5
Good morning Mark
All of my pool equipment is inside a wooden "box shelter" that I built with some thin slits for ventilation. However, aparently I need to prevent water from accumulating underneath. Or perhaps that rust is from a leak from the pump itself...??
Could be either or both. Galvanic corrosion can only happen in the presence of water (+salt). Being close to the ocean doesn't help either.

What do yoh mean if my motor is bonded?
Bonding is a wire connected to the motor housing that connects to all of the pool metal equipment, pool lights, railings and concrete re-bar. It prevents shocks if something should short.

1685283698627.png

Could be either or both. Galvanic corrosion can only happen in the presence of water (+salt). Being close to the ocean doesn't help either.

Bonding is a wire connected to the motor housing that connects to all of the pool metal equipment, pool lights, railings and concrete re-bar. It prevents shocks if something should short.

View attachment 497126
Thanks Mark
1. I live super far from the ocean, so that salt corrosion is coming from my own pool's salt.

2. The motor is bonded to a nearby grounding rod. It isn't the one that grounds the other things you said, but that rod was put in for another project by a construction company, so it goes deep into the ground.

3. I just looked in that wooden box to double check, and I see water along the floor near the motor. Therefore I have a leak from underneath through that corrosion in the picture probably.
Dang.

It looks like it's time to replace that motor soon, even though it spins and works perfectly, though loudly.
And, like everything now, they aren't cheap.

Salt intrusion from the ocean can travel many miles. Up to 15 miles is not uncommon and a few studies have shown much further.

If you can catch leaks early and fix them, you can usually prevent issues like this so it pays to inspect the equipment weekly.

2. The motor is bonded to a nearby grounding rod. It isn't the one that grounds the other things you said, but that rod was put in for another project by a construction company, so it goes deep into the ground.
This is a little troubling. I don't think that is to code. All of the equipment should be bonded together. The grounding occurs through a ground wire connected internally to the motor.

Is the other equipment bonded separately?

Last edited:
Salt intrusion from the ocean can travel many miles. Up to 15 miles is not uncommon and a few studies have shown much further.

If you can catch leaks early and fix them, you can usually prevent issues like this so it pays to inspect the equipment weekly.

This is a little troubling. I don't think that is to code. All of the equipment should be bonded together. The grounding occurs through a ground wire connected internally to the motor.

Is the other equipment bonded separately?
Mark
This is how I inherited the pool when I bought the house. I assume that all the other equipment is bonded separately, yes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.