Loud Squeel from Hayward C200S Cartridge Pool Filter.

Ed_in_Palm_Harbor

Apr 24, 2023
Palm Harbor, FL
I have a Hayward C200S Cartridge Pool Filter. The other day it started making an extremely loud squeal. We moved into this house about two months ago and I do not know how older the filter is, it looks very clean. It is not the motor, it is coming from the filter. I have a video, with the audio, which I will try and post and a photo of the filter.

I turned off the pump and removed the top or dome section of the filter, there was nothing but water in the bottom. I took out the cartridge, looked at it, and did not see anything unusual. I put it back together and no squeal, until the next morning when the pool timer turned on the pump. Again, a very loud squeal. I did the same inspection process and no squeal. I went to my local “nationally known pool supply store.” They heard the noise from my video on my phone and said it was “the pump.” I explained after I opened the filter dome and put it back together it ran well for 6 hours. They suggested I replace the gasket and coat all surfaces with waterproof lube, which I did. It worked ok, all day yesterday. This morning when I started it up, the loud squeal was back. Stopped the pump, bled the system, took the dome assembly off, looked inside the bottom part, and put it back together and it ran perfectly all day. I put soapy water around the pressure gauge, bleed valve, and the areas where the top and bottom meet, with no bubbles, or indication of a leak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For info, I live in Palm Harbor, FL. No great variations in temperature. Sorry I can't attach files they are too large.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I have to say, hearing a loud squealing noise does seem a bit odd for a filter since there are no moving parts. I had an occasional squealing noise a while back, and it would stop when I turned off the motor for a few minutes or switched speeds. It was the shaft seal. If you can post that video, or a link to it, we'll certainly take a look. Post as many pics as you would like as well of everything on your equipment pad. Last, take a moment to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It helps tremendously. We'll do what we can to help.

Checkout our Pool Care Basics page and enjoy the forum. :swim:

This round part inserts into the hole in the cartridge and if the seal is not really tight, water can slip by and make a squealing sound.

View attachment 486987
JamesW, Thanks for your comment. After I replaced and lubed the O-ring for the filter head and used the Multipurpose Lubricant Sealant, the Filter did not squeal that day (I will call it Day 1),

Day 2, The filter operated normally, no squeal.

Day 3 When I started the pump, I got the squeal. I shut down the pump, opened up the dome, closed it back up and it worked the rest of the day.

Day 4 Today, I started the pump, got the squeal, and opened and reseated everything, as I had done previously, it ran for about an hour and I got the loud squeal, again. I had to leave the house and I just shut the pump off. I return five hours later, saw your comment about the round part, on the inside of the dome fitting into the cartridge correctly. I took the dome apart several times, checking, as best I could, that the parts fit together correctly, now I get a loud squeak every time I turn on the pump.

How do I know if the top part is going into the cartridge correctly?

Remove the filter top and push the top into the cartridge to see how tight the fit is.

If the top or bottom are loose, water can go through the gap instead of through the pleated cartridge material.

Sometimes you have to replace the cartridge or maybe you can use some type of tape on the round insert to make it tighter.

Maybe electrical tape, but not too much.

JamesW, Once again, thanks so much. Yesterday, 1 May 2023, I had to go out of town, for the night. I was able to check the fit on the Top of the Filter, with the top of the dome, and, to me, it did not appear tight. I wrapped the inter part that goes in the top of the filter with electrical tape as you suggested. I was able to run the pool for about an hour before I had to leave. Just to be sure I shut off the power at the circuit breaker. I plan to only run the pool while someone is home. When I returned around noon today I turned the pool back on and as of 4 PM, it is running fine. Thanks again, I will keep you advised. Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.