Loud gurgling noise near return

Jun 8, 2017
Concord NH
Hello,
I have recently successfully converted my 4 y.o. 15x24 oval AG pool from Baquacil to chlorine with the help of TFP. I have 2 other mechanical issues I am in desperate need of help with:

1. I hear a loud gurgling nose near the return and after studying my pool have come to realize my pump is creating a vortex on the surface of the water (like a little tornado). When this vortex moves then comes in contact with the water from the return it sucks air from the surface and sends out bubbles and the gurgling noise; which looks like the bubbles are coming from the return, but actually the bubbles start 1-2 inches from the eyeball. This is pretty loud, annoying and I feel bad for the neighbors. I have no bubbles in the skimmer basket, having just installed a brand new pump skimmer basket cover. I have tried turning the eyeball with no success. Looking for suggestions to try.

2. And even though I put Magic Lube around the O ring of the new cover, I now cannot open it to clean the pump basket. I have had problems for a while now and was needing to use a wooden handled hammer as a lever to push the cover to open ( hence the cracked old cover) , but now I can't even turn it with this lever. It seems like so much suction and I am worried that I now am not able to physically keep this skimmer basket clean...Help!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. I appreciate all the help and support!
Paula

Thanks for the thought of using a spading fork. I did try but not helpful for me. Went back to the wooden handled hammer and with much struggle, and trying to open first thing in am before pump came on, I was able to open and clean the pump skimmer basket. Mostly bugs which must accumulate on the surface during the night, so I will try to get out early am to manually skim off the bugs before pump turns on. I keep the water level between the 2 screws on each side of the skimmer as directed by the manual, so don't think low water level is the problem. I may try to buy a larger return eyeball, though not sure if that is a possible solution or not. Thanks, Paua

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.