Lots of tiny particles in water

phildg

May 28, 2020
sarasota, florida
Moved from here.
I have a similar issue with small surface particles. I run a Pentair 200 for 11 hours around 50. I skim before going in to the pool. I am talking about some pretty small sediment being picked up in a fine skimmer. The pool cartridge is cleaned every week. I use a Dolphin T35 3 times a week to vacuum the pool. Any thoughts or is this what I should expect in Florida during the summer. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a recent set of test results using my Pentair Intechlor 40 run at 60%:
Total Chlorine: 5.0 ppm
Free Chlorine: 5.0 ppm
Combined Chlorine: 0
ph: 8.0 ( muriatic acid added to reduce)
Acid: 2
Total Alkalinity: 120 ppm
Calcium Hardness: 375 ppm
Stabilizer 50 ppm (stabilizer added to increase level)
Total Salts: 3,330 ppm (lower now with resent rain)

Skimming does remove the particles which look like small particles of dirt/sand.
Thanks for any thoughts?
Best,
Phil

It is probable that the SWCG is creating scale flakes and those are being released into your pool water. Do you see any flakes or piles of white substance on the pool floor? Can you capture any of it and put a drop of acid on it?

To reduce the occurrence, you must manage your CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool to a range of -0.3 to 0.0. PoolMath calculates CSI from your test data.

Please fill out your signature. Include what test kit you are using in your signature.

I put in the info and the result was a potential for scaling. It looks like the ph may be high since when I lower the ph the CSI was fine.
Unless you have another thought, I will put in dome Muriatic acid tomorrow and see what happens. It is a new (water in 6/4/2020) pool and as I understand, the Ph can be high for a while.
Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!
Phil

With a new pool, you must monitor pH and TA often and keep the pH in the 7's. Do not over do on the acid. Lower to pH of 7.6, but plan to test pH every other day or so for the foreseeable future.

Please fill out your signature. Include what test kit you are using in your signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.