Floresville, Tx
Here ore my numbers.
Fc 1
cc 0
Ch 225
ph 7.8
ta 190
cya 45
my pool has been clear until today. It started to get cloudy but we have been swimming everyday. I have had high ph levels and have added about 2 gallons of acid in the past 3 weeks. I will come down then go back up. I add about a gallon of bleach everyday. The math said to add 111 oz today but I added 2 gallons this evening to try to bring the levels up. I run my pump for 8hrs at night. Do I need to maybe run it during the day. I try to run it when we swim too. I can't seem to figure this whole pool chemistry thing out. Please help.

Your high TA is likely driving your pH increase. You should consider lowering it. Directions: How to Lower Total Alkalinity

I would also change your pump run time to daytime, and then perform an OCLT to see if you're losing FC overnight, not due to sunlight consumption. The CC of 0 is promising, but the OCLT will confirm whether you have something growing and determine whether you need to SLAM as a next step to clear up algae.

Nothing surprising here, with a CYA of 50 (round up) your minimum FC is 4. With an FC of 1 you are well below that and your cloudiness is likely algae, not pH related. Start a SLAM now and clear it quickly. You caught it quickly so it should clear up fairly quickly as well.

Thanks for the advice. So if I slam how much bleach do I add to get started? I am still trying to find all the information on here on how to properly slam my pool. Is is basically just adding a ton of bleach? Or do I add acid too? How do you get that I need fc of 4 with cya of 50?

SLAM directions -- there's a link on the page to the appropriate shock level based on your CYA.

So you add enough bleach to get you to the shock level based on your pool size. Use Pool Math to determine that. Enter your pool size (directions for estimating gallons at the bottom of Pool Math), then enter your current CYA and FC levels, and your target, and Pool Math will calculate how much bleach to add. Note the bleach strength options.

How do you get that I need fc of 4 with cya of 50?
There is a tab up top that says "Pool School", you are going to want to check that out. Looking back at your previous posts you were given links on where to find these things several times so I'm going to go ahead and let you find the answer to your own question. It is all in the Pool School.

If your pool is cloudy you aren't anywhere ready to run an OCLT. That's how you determine you're DONE with the SLAM. Right now you're still too low in FC and still cloudy, right??

It may take a few days to clear up.. how long have you been swimming in FC of 1ppm?? That's wayyyyy too low to prevent algae to take hold.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Maddie! I think I'm confused -- I thought OCLT could also be used diagnostically to determine if you're fighting algae as a criteria for *beginning* a SLAM -- not just to determine you're finished with a SLAM? Am I off base there?

Oh no, Fatty, you're right if the water were perfectly clear but a FC loss appeared! An OCLT at that point is helpful for diagnosing the problem.

But in this case the OP already has obvious cloudy pool and low FC. NO question that there is something in the water that needs to be SLAM'd. The OCLT here is to determine if the treatment was effective.

Maddie :flower:

Your pool can consume 2-4 ppm of FC each day due to sun shining on it.

You stated previously that you had a 'cloudy' pool. Typically that means algae. Have you been using the SLAM as mentioned above?
There are three criteria to passing the SLAM. The OCLT is ONE of them, another is a CC of 0.5 or less, and the last is a Crystal Clear Pool.

Take care.

Cloudy water and increased chlorine consumption are the first signs of algae growing in the pool. Slimy pool walls is next. Rapidly clogging filter. And then green pool. I would SLAM Process it now or you can wait for the water to turn green if you really want to be 100% sure it is algae. :)

So I have been watching the filter today and after turning it off and then back on a few minutes later a cloud of dirt comes out of it. This is what is making my pool cloudy. I went to the pool store and they said that the filter can't catch the fine dirt. I'm gonna try to vacuum to waste tomorrow and see if it helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.