Lost prime <fixed>

beatle

Dec 22, 2021
tucson
Newish 2 speed pump put in this winter. Opened the pool a few days ago and switched the motor to high so as to turn over water for a few days. Working fine.
Noticed the robots was not picking up some sand so I got the vacuum hoses, and lost prime through getting some air in the hoses while attached to the intake. I tried filling the pump side with water to help prime and noticed that water gets pulled into the basket from the pool side for a few moments but it quickly stops. I tried opening up the air valve release on the DE filter while running the pump on low and same result.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
That is usually caused by a suction side air leak.

Check that the pump basket lid is tight.

Even though the O ring was replaced check that it did not roll over or get nicked.

Check that your weir doors are not stuck up.

Check the position of all of your valves. Sounds like you have a valve closed on the return side blocking pump flow.

Post pics of your equipment pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe it is when the handle is 90 degree clockwise from this picture and this is in normal pump position. 90 degrees ccw pushes water to the water feature, which is capped off at the feature.

<fixed>
Those are the correct positions. I pulled the o ring to clean and regrease. I tried to prime again and the same result but I simply waited a bit longer and water started to trickle into the basket again and sure enough it eventually primed. Must have had a lot of air in the line.

Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.