Loss of return

dattia

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
West Chester, PA
I took my pump apart yesterday thinking I had an impeller issue, put it back on today. The pump is pulling water in the backwash cycle and the rinse cycle but stops pulling water when I switch to filter. What is my next step? Opening the filter? Also have to get a new pressure gauge. The pump was working fine for two days prior.
Thank you!

That is confusing. Let's ask you some questions to try and figure this out:
- Did you do any work to the multiport valve on your filter?
- How does the water look (clear, green, cloudy, etc)?
- Can you post a full set of water results?
- Have you added anything to the water other than regular bleach/liquid chlorine? ANY pool store products?
- Does the water move okay when on circulate? Good return jet flow?
- What readings does your filter pressure gauge show?

I am just starting on my swamp, 3 days in with the pump. Scooped most of the leaves before using the pump, spent a day vacuuming basket after basket of remaining leaves and pine needles. Everything going great and then I lost suction. I thought the impeller got clogged because I reached in and didn’t feel like it was moving freely. Took it apart and did not find it to be clogged and I turned the pump on and could see it spinning great. Put it back on the pool and put it on backwash, normal. Put it on rinse, normal. Put it on filter and the water just vibrated in the pump basket. Put my hand in front of the return and there was nothing returning to the pool. I put it on recirculate and nothing.
I have put nothing more than chlorine 10% in but have not started slam yet because I still have a lot of organics in the pool. The gauge is not working, I will replace it later on today.

Your filter is doing what it is designed to do. It is clogged with algae.

Place it on recirculate until you get your swamp to cloudy blue. Then start filtering.

If there is no water coming out of the return when the filter is set to filter or re-circulate then something is blocking those settings on the multi port valve. You need to open up the multi port and see what is blocking those settings.

I opened my multi port today and it looks fine. However the pipe on my lateral assembly was completely cracked and when I reached down in the filter, I had to go at least halfway down before I hit sand. Obviously this needs to be replaced and luckily I have a new assembly in hand.... would this cause the problem I was having with no return flow or is this a separate issue? Also, I am planning to buy Quikrete pool sand because the price is very reasonable... any reason that I shouldn’t?

Be aware that Quikrete pool sand has not had good reviews here on the forum.

Stick with #20 silica sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.