Dec 11, 2021
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone may have an idea on what If any issue my pool is experiencing.

I have 24ft above ground round pool. I live in Massachusetts, and the pool is covered in the winter months with a high quality cover (new one is purchased every year) with a pillow in the center of the pool. Return is closed, and skimmer is cover as well.

I’ve noticed significant water loss; to the extent that I have to put the hose in multiple times over the course of the winter. When I took the cover off in the spring, the water level was only approximately knee height; for reference I am about 5ft 4in. We were never able to find a tear or leak, nor any suspicious wet spots or saturated areas around it. But since the liner was faded, I had a new one professionally installed in the spring along with the foam padding between the wall and the liner.

The pool was closed this year right around the third week of September. While the water loss does not appear to be as significant as previous years, I’ve still had to run a hose twice since closing it, for a couple hours each time to bring the water level back up. I do have a cover pump to drain the rain water but it is not left on. I turn it on to remove water from the cover when needed and unplug it once the water is off the cover.

While I do have to put the hose in from time to time during the months it’s in use, the loss over the winter months seems excessive to me.

Is it normal in the north east for an above ground pool to lose significant amounts of water over the winter? Could it really be all attributed to evaportion? Perhaps from air and wind getting under the cover? I would have sworn it was a leak somewhere and really thought so I’m previous years. But I’m honestly not so sure now, seeing as it’s a brand new liner and was professionally installed.

Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jenn

Jenn, welcome to TFP! :wave: The dry air this time of year can result in some water loss, but it would be good to confirm there are no other sources of water loss. More info might help. For example:
- Is your AGP completely above ground, or is it partially in the ground?
- Is all plumbing disconnected as expected this time of year?
- Any chance your cover pump might be getting close enough to the water's surface to pull water out from below. It's quite common.

Maybe tomorrow post 2 or 3 pics of your pool and equipment pad? Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. The more info we know about your set up the better.

Jenn, welcome to TFP! :wave: The dry air this time of year can result in some water loss, but it would be good to confirm there are no other sources of water loss. More info might help. For example:
- Is your AGP completely above ground, or is it partially in the ground?
- Is all plumbing disconnected as expected this time of year?
- Any chance your cover pump might be getting close enough to the water's surface to pull water out from below. It's quite common.

Maybe tomorrow post 2 or 3 pics of your pool and equipment pad? Also be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. The more info we know about your set up the better.

I’ll definitely try to get some pictures tomorrow.

In answer to your questions, the pool is completely above ground. All connections; pump, filter and chlorinator are all disconnected. All openings; return and skimmer are securely closed up.

I don’t think it would be the cover pump, since I only run that when I have time to watch it. Once it’s cleared the cover, it gets turned off. Plus once the temps reach freezing and/or snow starts, I take the pump off the cover and put it on/off the cover as needed, that was I avoid either the pump or the garden hose I have attached from freezing.

I’ll also spend some time over the next couple days updating my profile with as many details of the pool as possible.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.