Losing the Resistant Mustard Algae Battle

This thread has been a very interesting read. So I just have one question, why would you not use your robot during this entire process. If it were me, I would run it every day. It will help with circulation, it performs some of the brushing you need to do, and has the effect of vacuuming to waste without losing all the water. Please you could check the filters to see what you are picking up ie slimey vs sandy (make sure you use the pleated filters). If you were worried about re contamination you could do a soak of the filters in a bleach solution, and use a spray bottle to spay a bleach solution on the robot and rinse.

Also I did not notice if you have a Speedstir or not? A couple of people has questioned if your testing is accurate. For the amount of money you have spent so far the $40 investment is a steal. Plus it will really help with testing. I would also probably encourage a complete refill of the TF 100 kit. Again another $40 investment to make sure your testing is accurate with fresh reagents.

Hi Katodude,

I appreciate your input. I'll try to answer your question.

...why would you not use your robot during this entire process...you could do a soak of the filters in a bleach solution, and use a spray bottle to spay a bleach solution on the robot and rinse.

There were 2 reasons I didn't use it. For my robot, the directions state to not use it for 12-24 hours after adding chemicals and I was adding chemicals every day while also maintaining very high free chlorine levels. The other reason was because I saw how this algae was untouched by CYA = 20 and FC = 30 held for days with brushing daily, so I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to clean the robot well enough to prevent re-contamination. So...I brushed the whole pool 2+ times a day. I agree that being able to put it in and use it daily would have been so much better. I even tried to convince my husband to buy the cheapest one we could find and leave it in the pool, but he wouldn't do it.

[QUOTE...if you have a Speedstir or not?[/QUOTE]

Yep! I do have one and I love it! I think the question on my testing arose because I was so focused on the algae that I didn't provide enough info on that. I keep my Taylor K2006C FAS-DPD bottles fresh along with my Taylor salt test kit and phosphate strips. I want to get a pH meter and an ammonia test kit, but I'll have to wait until next season. I have a pharmD degree and am 1 semester shy of a chemistry degree which put me in the lab alot...I have found that old habits die hard...Lol...My husband says I am OCD with the testing. I make the pool water meniscus is sit on the desired line for amount to be tested and I wait for the colors to fully mix and fade back before adding another drop....I guess it's somewhat funny to watch me get so serious about testing pool water!

I am thankful that it is finally gone. But, I admit that I dread opening in the Spring.

My robot goes into the pool within an hour of me adding chemicals. I would think it is also safe for the robot to work at SLAM levels, but what you show is a little hotter than that so some caution is wise.

Just remember, a pool is for having fun, and a robot is for making your job/life easier. I think if you shorten the life of the robot in exchange for you working less hard that is a very fair exchange. Just make sure you give it a good rinse after you take it out of the pool.

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd update this thread for those wondering what the status of my pool has been for the last 20 days. I am happy to report that during that time, the pool has been algae free maintained at CYA = 40 and FC = 7, pH = 7.7, TA = 85, CH = 210, temp = 83, and 0 phosphates. I have been keeping 2 AquaFinesse tabs in the skimmers and running the SWCG. Also during that time, my pool brushing has been every 1 to 2 days.

I am hoping that everyone else who had a tough algae issue this year have had success also.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help out.

I'm now beginning the 2 week prep for closing the pool for the winter.

I was hoping somebody could advise me on on the current consensus on the procedure for adding PolyQuat60 and shock when winterizing?

Thanks

Louanne

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.