Loosing water and at my wits end

N2GUNRADIO

May 21, 2020
Tennessee
Lurked around for years but new to the forum.. 24' above ground metal sided.
Year before last I started losing a bit of water but it seemed intermittent. Just topped it off as needed and went on. It got worse last year and I was having to add water daily-ish to keep it to filter running level. It stayed so cool from the constant top offs the family didn't use it much. Was a constant battle to keep the skimmer from gasping. I noticed that I had washed out the sand directly under the skimmer, so I removed the skimmer and cleaned and changed the gaskets. No dice. As the pool was 7 years old, I said heck with it, I'd replace the liner this year and didnt even bother winterizing last fall. Last week new liner arrived. I completely drained and removed the old liner, fixed the washed out area, and reinstalled the brand new liner. I bought and installed new "universal" 2pc rubber gaskets from the pool store. At install I noticed the faceplate had a small crack or two but proceeded. Skimmer, gasket, metal pool wall, liner, gasket, faceplate. Got everything mounted up topped it off and BAM the next morning it was down enough that the pump was getting air. I bought a new face plate and installed with the 2 rubber gaskets but this time used a bit of clear silicone RTV. Topped it off and next morning same thing (low).. I noticed it seemed that one of the bottom skimmer screw was almost stripped so I ordered a complete new Hayward skimmer kit. It came in so I drained it just below the faceplate. Removed all the old, cleaned all in and out. Installed the new silicone 1 pc butterfly gasket that came wth the new setup. Lined everything up snugged it down good and filled it up. I fired up the pump and marked the water level in the skimmer with a pencil. 2 hrs later I go back and and it's down between a little under a 1/2"... In 2 hrs! It has been cool and rainy the past couple of days so hard to look for wet areas.. I am spent. Any ideas of things to check? Thanks in advance.

Does your filter have a backwash valve and is it hard plumbed? Many people have discovered a slow leak from the valve down the waste line. And the longer you run the pump, the more water you lose.
It does have the backwash valve and it is not hard plumbed. I attach a 10' section of hose when back washing and remove it when not in use. I will rubber band a nitryl glove over the connection to see if I catch anything. Thanks for the idea.

Before you replaced the liner, over the winter when the pool was off how low did the water level get? Some above ground pools have a main drain in the floor. Does your pool have one? Post a photo of your equipment pad and check around the bottom of the filter for wet spots.
When your multiport valve is set to filter the backwash port coming off the multiport valve should be dry, unless it was recently in use. There shouldn't be any drips coming from that port.

Before you replaced the liner, over the winter when the pool was off how low did the water level get? Some above ground pools have a main drain in the floor. Does your pool have one? Post a photo of your equipment pad and check around the bottom of the filter for wet spots.
When your multiport valve is set to filter the backwash port coming off the multiport valve should be dry, unless it was recently in use. There shouldn't be any drips coming from that port.
Ok... The level didn't seem to drop much past the skimmer, but I pumped part of the water out leaving enough to keep everything sturdy.
No drain. Valve outlet and all has been dry in the past. I plan to rubber band a nitryl glove over the connection to see if I catch anything once is back up and running but I am sure there is not a noticeable drip from it (and with this much loss I'm sure it'd be noticeable).. Unfortunately, it has rained daily for the past few days and everything is wet. Hoping for dry over the weekend.

Last night I cut off the pump and installed the screw in "oring-ed" plugs in both the skimmer bottom and the pump wall jet to isolate the pool from the filtration. Checked this AM and level is down going on an inch from late last night when plugged off. I think I am going to leave it be and Watch to see if stops dropping once it gets below the skimmer.. Just hoping the BRAND NEW fill doesn't nasty up on me. The wife will have a fit. Thinking this HAS to be with the skimmer..

I have seen multiple answers, but is the butterfly gasket supposed to over the liner on the inside (liner inside the gasket), or behind it (between the liner and the wall)?

Last edited:
I know Hayward says between the liner and the wall, which is how I had it, but when I pulled mine off a few weeks ago to fix a leak and some rust I re-installed the other way - liner and wall inside the gasket. In my mind that is the correct way to do it and will help with not letting water in between the wall and the liner.

Continue to add LC and brush it around daily while you are working through this to keep your water algae free without the pump.

Could you post some pictures of the suspect areas? Leaking down to the skimmer doesn't necessarily mean the skimmer is the problem. It could be somewhere in the line between the skimmer and pump. Pictures of the pump, skimmer (inside and out), filter, and return outlet would help.
Put the multiport valve in the closed position and plug the skimmer and return for 24 hours. If the water loss stops, then you should remove the plug from either the skimmer or return but not both and mark the water level. Wait another 24 hours. If no water is lost remove the other plug and mark the water level. Wait 24 hours. If no water is lost put the mutiport valve in filter position and wait another 24 hours. This should tell you which line is leaking. Then you can track down the exact location of the leak. You can add liquid chlorine and brush the pool to mix it in daily while isolating the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.