Loosing 3.5 to 4 ppm a day FC

May 6, 2018
Bloomington IN
My CYA is 30. When my pool is covered I loose 2 ppm a day. But when it's open in full sun I am loosing 3.5 to 4 ppm. Ordered some stabilizer. Should I raise cya to 40 or 50? Or any other thoughts. It's really hot right now water temp is 93 to 95 degrees F on it's own.

FC. 5
CC. 0.5 or less
PH 7.4
TA. 110
CH. 230
CYA. 30

3.5-4 is the upper limit but warm water and more sunshine will definitely use up chlorine faster. You can easily raise your CYA all the way up to 50ppm and be fine. Trying going up by 10ppm and see if that helps. Also, make sure your OCLT is less than 1ppm or else you could have something else consuming your FC.

That makes sense as the cover is providing your FC some protection from the sun. But once exposed, the sun is grabbing what it can. A small CYA increase might just be appropriate.

I will bring it up to 40 and see if that helps any. Just making sure I am thinking right.
It's been a little tough dialing in my stenner with that big of a variable from covered to uncovered. Since we don't consistently open the pool for the same amount of time.

The other option is to dump in 2ppm fc after swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.