Looking to replace pool equipment

Jul 10, 2016
Powder Springs
Hey all, thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for all the helpful info over the years. My pool equipment is about 20 years old and the only thing that isn't leaking is my sand filter (an aquatech at-60), so looking to upgrade most things. I currently have a Purex Triton Whisperflo WFDS26c (newer motor that isn't dual speed attached, so always running at high speed) that is the 1.5 HP model. 2in piping all around and a diverter valve before the sand filter. The other weird thing about my system is I have a jandy valve that is running to a dedicated old Jandy Rayvac line for a pool cleaner. I currently use a Polaris 360 cleaner since I have no dedicated booster pump, this jandy valve is just after the pump and before the filter. So my considerations are, just going with a new Pentair WF-28 (a little jump in HP to 2 HP), but to my understanding should be pretty much plug and play with the old motor. Also change out the diverter valve b/c it's old and leaking, I was going to remove the jandy energy filter, but thinking I should just replace it because of the type of cleaner I have and then add a chlorinator after the sand filter (most likely the rainbow 320. Up for consideration is the Pentair superflo VS 1.5 HP or the Pentair Intelliflo VS. My main concerns with the VS: can I keep the sand filter, would prefer not to shell out for a cartridge filter, but not against upgrading it in a year or two if I need to. Would either of these be easy enough on my sand filter but strong enough on the jandy line (for the polaris 360). I have heard conflicting reports on having the sand filter with any vs pump. But after a lot of searching online I don't see a lot of ppl with the jandy vac line like I have that would also have a VS pump. If I get the VS pump my plan was still to change out the diverter valve and add the chlorinator on the back end as well. I know this is long and I greatly appreciate anyone willing to lend their thoughts.

Pentair WF-28
If your doing the install yourself, Pentair warranty is only 60 days. Waterway Power Defender 140 from INYO is the same price, 2 year warranty, and a VS pump. For the work your doing, and the money your going to spend, I would go with a pool robot, ditch the polaris, and tie that line in after the filter so it just acts like another return. Then you don't have to worry about whether you have enough flow for the polaris. Also, ditch the chlorinator and spend the mony on a Stenner pump set up or go whole hog with a salt system.

I'm in the same boat after the winter storms. I've got some stuff busted, looking to make repairs and make my life simpler at the same time.

If your doing the install yourself, Pentair warranty is only 60 days. Waterway Power Defender 140 from INYO is the same price, 2 year warranty, and a VS pump. For the work your doing, and the money your going to spend, I would go with a pool robot, ditch the polaris, and tie that line in after the filter so it just acts like another return. Then you don't have to worry about whether you have enough flow for the polaris. Also, ditch the chlorinator and spend the mony on a Stenner pump set up or go whole hog with a salt system.
I was aware of the 60 day warranty which is unfortunate. Had a guy come out and quote me 1200 for a superflo 2 hp that is not vs. So at this point it's just like I can buy 2 of those for the one he wants to charge. I get guys have to make money, but double on parts just isn't going to work for me to have the additional warranty. I can just go buy another if it fails and still come out the same or even ahead. I will definitely look in to those suggestions. I appreciate it.

I can just go buy another if it fails and still come out the same or even ahead.
That’s where I was with my SWG. Double the price from my local and well trusted guy. So I gambled on a random bogus wholesaler who used a UPS store across the country as their business address and they got my money. I felt terrible about it but I have bills too.

That’s where I was with my SWG. Double the price from my local and well trusted guy. So I gambled on a random bogus wholesaler who used a UPS store across the country as their business address and they got my money. I felt terrible about it but I have bills too.
I wouldn't say I have a trusted guy either. If I had a trusted guy I might be willing to spend the money. I just don't get a good vibe from everyone we have had out to take a look here in GA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.