Looking to replace above ground pool next year

scartypool

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
Plumstead, PA
Hi all, it’s time to replace the current above ground pool. its had a good 20 year run, we are second owners. I am looking at Inyo pools, when they become available again!

Curious on a few points.
- tear down and recycling the current pool. Any advice?
- Do we wait until just before new pool install to take down or do we take it down at the end of the season?
- coordinating install with delivery any suggestions pitfalls to avoid?
- current pump and sand filter are good, worth it to go DE and new pump or retain?

Thanks in advance

Don’t have any suggestions for first question. For second, I would wait to take it down until you are ready to install new one. That way you don’t have to worry about removing new grass or weeds. And I would use current pump/filter, unless you are just itching for new gadgets to play with.

May want to check our Pool Factory too... they get a lot of good reviews.

Hi all, it’s time to replace the current above ground pool. its had a good 20 year run, we are second owners. I am looking at Inyo pools, when they become available again!

Curious on a few points.
- tear down and recycling the current pool. Any advice?
- Do we wait until just before new pool install to take down or do we take it down at the end of the season?
- coordinating install with delivery any suggestions pitfalls to avoid?
- current pump and sand filter are good, worth it to go DE and new pump or retain?

Thanks in advance
Are you looking at getting the same size pool? If so I would leave it up until a week or two before the new install, just to protect the site. Is the current pool rusted out? If not put some adds on Craigslist and offer it for someone to take for free as long as they take it down and haul it away. If it is rusty and no good a nice saws all makes short work of the pool wall. Just cut it up into 3-4 foot sections so it is easy to stack up and haul away. If you don't have any takers look for a place that buys or takes scrap metal. They might pick it up or they might give you a few bucks for it.

As for coordinating install and delivery you just want to make sure the site is clear and accessible. If you can't install within a few days of delivery then make sure you have a large enough area in a garage or enough tarps to cover all the boxes to protect everything from the weather. A big pool may be delivered on one or two pallets, so make sure they place it in an area where it won't be in the way if it will be awhile before installation. You don't want them to drop it in the middle of your driveway and take off. The pallets are very heavy and will be difficult to move without a pallet jack.

If the new pool package comes with a filter and pump, just hang on to them. If the filter is bigger than what you have you may want to swap it out. DE is nice but its a lot of work if your pool ever goes green. If you are like me and tend to get lazy in the off season you will go through a lot of DE to clear your pool. A spare pump is always handy to have, so I would just store it in a safe place. If you have the option of using the cost of a pump and filter towards other equipment you might want to look into getting an SWG instead and keep using your current pump and filter.

Reactions: mguzzy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.