Looking to convert to salt.. how does my pool already have a salt reading of 800-1000?

tomas21

Gold Supporter
Jan 24, 2020
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Preparing to convert to salt this week... did a couple readings over the weekend at registered 800-1000 ppm before adding any salt.

Curious where these salt readings could be coming from given our environment... I believe there is some salt in the liquid chlorine

I just tested tap and we have maybe 200-400 ppm of salt being registered from our tap.

Readings:
FC - 3.5
pH - 7.8
TA - 90
CYA - 70
SALT - 800-1000
TEMP - 70
CSI -0.16

One of the byproducts of liquid chlorine is salt. Very common for non-SWG pools to have a substantial salt level over the years.
Thanks.. Pool was just built and filled for the first time in Sept 2021 and according to my poolmath app I have added roughly ~32 gallons of chlorine since the pool was filled.

Happy to report we have converted over to salt and the IC60 and IntelliPH are working out the gate.
  • Test Kit registered salt at 3000ppm
  • IC60 registering salt at 3600 ppm
Tuning Time
  • Pump speed tuning to find where the IC60 flow alert comes on (I am assuming I now have to set my lowest pump features to 1900 or more to ensure we are making salt. (Ex: pool normal circulation feature was set to 1700RPM but now have to bump to 1900 or more to ensure we are making Chlorine)
    • 1800 RPM - RED (flow alert)
    • 1850 RPM - RED (flow alert)
    • 1900 and up - GREEN (no flow alert)
  • IC60 % when running pump 8~12 hours daily... seeing how much FC we lose daily over time
    • Currently set at 90% since Chlorine is at .5ppm and trying to get to 3 for today
  • IntelliPH % acid to dispense hourly when running the IC60 & IntelliPH on for ~8hrs a day.. (note: we also have a spa spillway that runs 2x a day so it will be tuning exercise)
    • Currently set IntelliPH for 50% (mixture in tank is 1/2 water & 1/2 acid as recommended by Pentair)
    • A manual dosing cycle of my IntellipH ran for 58.5 seconds, it expended exactly 105mL (3.7 fl oz)
    • 1653758644107.png
Any input or tips let me know but hopefully on the right track

You shouldn't rely on using your SWG to get FC up from well below minimum to somewhere in the normal range. Add some liquid chlorine to bring your level up right away and then figure out how to tune your SWG. How long has it been below minimum? You should consider running an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Reactions: tomas21
Curious what others in SoCal are doing for their summer schedules and IC60 run times balancing making enough chlorine and watching energy usage with variable pumps..

1653928408026.png

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.