Looking for SLAM explanation and help

scorpionsix

Jun 18, 2019
North Phoenix
Hello:

I tested my water today and am posting the results below. I notice that when using the Pool Math App, there is a slider for SLAM (Shock Level & Maintain). When using the slider, the SLAM Target FC jumps up to 17 and the chemical additions are updated accordingly. My question is what is SLAM and how does it work - if there is an article or forum post that you can refer to me to educate myself it would be greatly appreciated.

Test Results
FC: 3.0
PH: 7.5
TA: 120
CH: 250
CYA: 44
CSI: .03
Temp: 88 Degrees

As my CYA starts getting closer to 50, my goal is to move away from the 3" pucks and start using Bleach/liquid chlorine to maintain the CYA level.

SLAM Process

How do you measure a CYA of 44? We round up. If the dot disappears between 50 and 40 we call it 50. The line spacing is logarithmic, not linear, and you can’t eyeball values between the lines.

CYA 50 has a FC target of 6-8. Raise your FC.

Bleach and liquid chlorine are the same. Most bleach you find is 6% chlorine or less. You can find 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart, HD, and other stores.

If you buy bleach you want it without any additives, fragrances, or splashless. Don’t use Clorox bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.