Looking for recommendation on SWG

Feb 17, 2011
I live in Tampa, Florida, and pay for pool chemical service (for many years). They've installed their own SWG, which is part of the package. It looks like some no-name brand, and has been on the house for about 10 years+.
Long story short, my pricing continues to go up, and service continues to go down. I will be terminating their services, which means they will be removing their equipment.

Pool is about 13K gallons, with spillover spa. Any recommendation on what to purchase, install? What to stay away from? I will be installing myself.

Thanks!

Taking charge of your pool is a wise move. Besides having a proper at-home test kit, either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006S, an SWG is a great idea. You can start by visiting Discount Salt Pool to compare SWGs. I have the RJ-45 which was a fairly easy install and has one of the better DIY-install warranties out there. But stick around and get some feedback by others. More replies to follow I'm sure.

I just installed an RJ60+ on my pool, it's my first chlorine generator and first time with a salt pool. I did the install myself, but I'm familiar with plumbing PVC and had the ability to do the wiring to the timer myself. I have had it running for a week and a half at 10% and it is maintaining my FC at 5-6 so far. I haven't added any liquid chlorine! I will say that the pH seems to rise quicker than before. Overall for a week and a half in, I've been happy with the RJ60. I like the clear cell so you can actually see the chlorine being produced when its generating. Hope this helps in your research for the right unit for you.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You definitely want one rated for at least 2x’s your pool volume & as Pat said, be sure you are comparing apples to apples by looking at lbs/day output along w/ the warranties & prices - the chart he linked is a great comparison tool.
Do u have any current automation ? If so you may want to stick to that brand.
If not, the world is your oyster 😄
Circupool doesn’t penalize their warranty for diyers like pentair & others so that may be a major consideration as well.
The larger the cell, the less you need to run it & the longer it should live as they generally have an average finite life of around 10k hrs @100%
The upgrade $$ is generally worth the lifespan increase.

I have the Edge40 for my 14750 pool. Just installed it right before Easter. Been happy with it. It's a learning curve trying to find the best setting and run time. I have my pump going 24/7 (2100rpm) do to heating with the HP. My cell is on 50%. I had it on 12.5% in the mid 70's water temp. Once we hit 86-91degs and started swimming, my FC dropped to .25 (luckily I had a bottle of LC laying around). So I bumped the SWG up to 50% and it's keeping FC @ 6 with 4 people swimming everyday with a 88deg water temp average. Once we warm up, I'll click the HP off, and have to figure out a new setting. I'll cut back on pump run times. It's my first year, I'm sure after that I'll have a good idea of what months like what settings.

I've fought Ph rise since the word go back last July. So, I haven't noticed a rise because it's always rising. I just keep adding my daily dose of MA.

Thanks for all the great responses. I need to do some homework….

A few answers to questions:
1) I have DIY automation…. not yet installed. (Raspberry Pi with Node Red). i am not sure what automation would be required for a SWG (timer on/off?)
2) pool temp is around 88 during the summer, maintained through solar panels. We generally dont swim from Oct-Mar, but the pump/spillover runs year round.
3) I have no real interest in maintaining pool chemistry myself…. Did it for years. The goal here is to get rid of the current system, replace it, and get a pool person to clean and maintain chemistry.

Does this extra info change anything?
….. or should I just go back to chlorine?

….. or should I just go back to chlorine?
I can only answer this. The salt water feel, imho, is worth the cost of the swg. After swimming all last summer and getting out feeling like a desert lizard.... the salt water feels like getting outta spring water.

I can only answer this. The salt water feel, imho, is worth the cost of the swg. After swimming all last summer and getting out feeling like a desert lizard.... the salt water feels like getting outta spring water.
To be fair, you don't need an SWG to have an excuse to dump salt in your pool. :) But I agree it does feel awesome, and I would never go back.

@WannaPool my pool is just a touch smaller than yours (about 11k gallons), and this will be my third season with a Circupool Edge 25. Absolutely love it. Given that your pool is a bit larger than mine and you get a lot more sun, I'd look at the Edge 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.