East Brunswick, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Resilience / Aquacomfort A5
I presently have a Hayward Super Pump 1.5 hp single speed pump on my inground pool, which is 22,500 gallons with 1.5" plumbing. My skimmer and main drain are probably 50'-60' from the equipment. I added a solar heating system on a rack (not up on the roof). Obviously the flow is a lot less when the solar is in use, but I would still like more flow for when it is not in use. I was thinking of going to the Hayward Super II pump. Even dropping to 1HP, it still moves slightly more water than what I have now without going overboard. Not sure if the Super II 1.5 hp would be too powerful though given my pipe size. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I also have a Raypak gas heater, so dual or variable speed pumps won't work for my application because of low flow rates.

Why do you want more flow? Everything about a pool works fine as long as flow is sufficient to satisfy the SWG flow switch and the heater pressure switch.

What is your filter pressure? When was your filter last cleaned?

@mas985 thoughts?

I take apart and clean my DE filter beginning, middle and end of season separate from backwashing. I have a buddy seat with jets for example, which is farthest away. I have to turn down valves to other parts to get decent pressure there. I figured a pump with just a little more oomph without going crazy overboard might be best. When the pool was installed 10 years ago it was with the super pump, however I’ve added solar and a gas heater, and I think the added plumbing might restrict things somewhat.

I am opening my pool this weekend. I don’t recall the normal pressure off the top of my head but it always drops after backwashing as it should.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.