Looking for non-slip solution

Sarah and Nate

Admin
In The Industry
Apr 20, 2022
Creedmoor, NC
Hello folks,
We have a ~42k gallon vinyl pool but my question doesn’t really pertain to the pool as opposed to the tiles around it. They are exceedingly slippery and after my 15 month old slipped and gave herself a nice bump on the head yesterday, it has become obvious that we need to do something about it. They are not pool tiles, they are stone bathroom tiles and thus are not really intended to provide traction.
After doing a tiny bit of research into coating products like SlipDoctors Stone Grip, it seems like the most expedient and cost efficient solution might be to just buy some outdoor carpet/nonslip mats and put it all around the pool, but that would be ugly and I like the way our tile looks.
What solutions have y’all found for slippery tile? I am not opposed to DIY (acid etching, applying sand under a coating, etc) nor am I opposed to spending some coin, as our pool ownership days have really just begun and this problem is not going away.
Thanks for your consideration!
IMG_2576.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah - the tiles cover the entire pool deck.
I'm guessing there is a concrete base under the tiles. If so, it may be best long term to remove the tile and put an acrylic lattice cool deck type coating on top of the concrete. This should reduce slipping and is cooler to the touch than bare concrete. There are many different textures and patterns that can be applied - from standard cool deck type texture to a flagstone look, brick look, tile look, etc.

Of course, that's probably one of the more expensive options.
Maybe someone has other options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.