Looking for Electrician for Intex Ultraframe in Southwest Ohio

Jun 9, 2017
Trenton, ohio
I'll be putting up my 12x24 Ultra-frame this weekend. I bought a heavy duty extension cable to use temporarily while I'm still finding a contractor for the Electric work. Per the National Electric Code that Butler County Ohio follows for Swimming Pools. Since the pool is larger, and water depth about 42" it's not considered a temporary pool. So I will be having the underground conduit ran out to my yard, and a post put up with two GFCI outlets, one for the pump, and one for the ECO. I have 1 space on my breaker for this outlet to be ran out.

I've had 4 Electricians bid on the job so far, prices are ranging from $1200 - $1800. So the electric is the biggest cost of this whole project. I have the electricians telling me the trench needs to be 24" but I'm reading in the code it says 6" if the conduit is rigid metal, and 18" for PVC and I just feel like these guys are trying to turn me inside out. Am I reading the code wrong?
"The minimum cover is 6 in. for rigid metal conduit and intermediatemetal conduit. Nonmetallic raceways must have at least 6 in. of cover,4 in. of which must be concrete. Nonmetallic raceways listed for directburial without concrete encasement require 18 in. of cover"

I'm also having them quote with them doing the trenching, and me. I found a tool rental place in Hamilton, OH to rent a trencher for $180 for an entire day. The guy at my house yesterday wanted to bring a mini excavator and charge me an extra $600. While another contractor said him digging is an extra $240.

I've been talking to so many electricians, and just haven't found one I'm 100% comfortable with, except one, and he hasn't gotten back with me with his estimate.

Starting to feel discouraged here. Any references would be awesome. I've been photographing this whole process so once I'm all done I'll update all of you with my install once we're up and running.

Are you bidding just the addition of the receptacles? What about the bonding grid and bonding all equipment?

Almost every jurisdiction follows the National Electrical Code, but this is updated regularly. You need to know what version (year) code they are following. Pool electric involves a lot more than just installing the plugs.

Please don't use an extension cord and start the pool up until you have the bonding (safety) grid in place. See 680.26 Equipotential Bonding in the link I provided.

Mike Holt Electric: ARTICLE 680—SWIMMING POOLS, SPAS, HOT TUBS, FOUNTAINS, AND SIMILAR INSTALLATIONS is a good overview of the 2014 code and explains all the requirements.

Butler county uses 2014 NEC Article 680. I've been emailing one of the inspectors back and forth with questions.

Literally right after I posted this I got a bid from the contractor I really liked! And for a number I liked too. $975 for:

20A underground circuit to pool
4x4 post for mounting receptacle
2 EA pool receptacles
Pool bonding
Trenching

Apply for my permit after work today! I spoke too soon.

Keep in mind not all municipalities will allow everything the code book states, the inspector having jurisdiction will have the final say. I would advise pvc and if the runs are long use rigid 90s. I typically get the pipe as deep as reasonably possible just so it stays out of the way. $1000 Sounds like a fair price imho.

You have to go by local code for the depth of the trench. The NEC code is bare minimum for all locations.

That aside 975 sounds like a great price for all that work. Trenching is all manual labor even if you have a machine.

I dont have a referral, but I am in Michigan and just had all this done for my 18x52 Intex. Our electrician ran conduit 6" deep and brought it up 6 ft away from our pool on a wooden post and installed plastic lock style boxes with switches in them too. We run a Sand Pump, SWG and an Intex light all plugged in there. Our nightmare was that he had to redig our trench because he stated I didnt tell him there was metal on our pool (which I absolutely did) in order to now bond the pool in I believe 4-6 places as well as the ladder (we upgraded our ladder to an all plastic one anyways). He also had to bond to our metal fencing too. Our original quote was 900 and this was from an electrician out of work. We had to pay an additional 300 for my *rolls eyes* mess up with the bonding to over labor cost to re trench and sire supplies. So, we ended up paying a total of 1200....which I do believe is pretty average. If I wouldnt have had to have him redo some work, it would have been 900.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That above code specified that for the shallow trench their must be 4" of concrete... sounds like that's more used under concrete floors and such.. I've never seen a code that let's u Berry shallower than 18".. nor would I want to go shallower. Now u have to worry everytime u try to do something in your yard

Rigid metal conduit has a minimum cover of 6".

Non metallic has a minimum cover of 6" with 4" of concrete on top, or 18" with no concrete cover.

At least that's per the table in section 680.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.