Looking for clarity on SWG % vs runtime

errorz

Oct 6, 2015
Phx, AZ
I hoping to get some final clarity on the % chlorination vs runtime debate. Seems after much browsing over the past year, the general consensus is a generator only has a certain amount of hours to chlorinate before it inevitably dies. With this logic, seems like the clearest course of action would be 100% chlorination at shortest time to reach pool needs.

I know some are paired with a pump timer (thus have generator on when pump is on always, lowering the % to match needs) but I have the ability to have pump timer on the Variable + intermatic for the generator.

I've heard some say 100% is fine, while others are nervous about having the generator at full load.

Like everyone with a SWG, I want it to last as long as possible, squeeze every last bit of life out of it. Anyone have incite? Thank you very much.

Not quite. A SWG will make a certain amount of chlorine before it dies.

So,if you run it at 50% for 12 hours, it will chlorinate the same as 100% for 6 hours, and if you ran it either way, it would last for the same number of years. The only thing different is that the 6 hour run time would likely cost more because you would run the pump at a 2x higher RPM, and that takes 3-4 x as much electricity. So there are other considerations, but what many do is run their pumps at the lowest setting that will trip the SWG flow sensor, run longer pump times, at lower SWG percentages.

Make sense?

error,

I can't see where it makes a lot of difference.. If I run mine at 10% for 10 hours a day and you run yours for 100% for 1 hour per day, we have both used the same amount of total hours.

Personally, I like to run longer hours at a lower percentage, but not because of the cell life, but rather I believe that a small amount of chlorine released over a longer period allows for a more stable FC level.

Seems to me that the goal should be to run the SWCG just enough to never let your FC drop below your minimum FC value. How you do that does not really matter..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Oh, and your SWG always runs at "full load." When you set it at 50%, it just runs full blast for 2.5 min, then it is off for 2.5 min, on for 2.5, and so on. If you watch your "cell" light, it is lit when the cell is on, so you can watch the cycling to gain more insight.

So so at the end of 12 hours at 50%, it will have exactly the same "wear" as it does at the Endo of 6 hours at 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

error,

I can't see where it makes a lot of difference.. If I run mine at 10% for 10 hours a day and you run yours for 100% for 1 hour per day, we have both used the same amount of total hours.

Personally, I like to run longer hours at a lower percentage, but not because of the cell life, but rather I believe that a small amount of chlorine released over a longer period allows for a more stable FC level.

Seems to me that the goal should be to run the SWCG just enough to never let your FC drop below your minimum FC value. How you do that does not really matter..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Good point. That's why I start mine up approximately when the sun hits the pool (sun eats FC, and helps FC eating critters to grow).

Personally, I like to run longer hours at a lower percentage, but not because of the cell life, but rather I believe that a small amount of chlorine released over a longer period allows for a more stable FC level...

My reason as well for running lower % with longer pump time. :)

Thank you for the clarity... I have seen places state that it was a matter of hours on(regardless of percentage) as opposed to total Chlorine output..... this makes much more sense to me now. I too would prefer it to steadily deliver chlorine over time as opposed to 100% for 1-2 hours a day.

Thank you all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.