Looking for advice on seeking international employment

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
My son is an IT professional with an Associates degree. His wife is a Japanese citizen and they originally intended to live in the US, however her mother has a recurrence of metastatic cancer and is currently hospitalized for treatment. She will be released soon and my d-i-l went back to Japan to care for her, since the only other relatives there are mom's elderly parents. My son is going to move to Japan as soon as the paperwork is in place, which takes a couple of months. He is looking for employment that he can do remotely. He currently works for a local hospital system so his employers won't convert his position to remote work. Even during the shut down he had to work on site. I'm looking for leads that he may contact to find a new job where either he can work remotely from Japan or locally in Japan that employs english speaking workers, such as some sort of Japanese branch of an english speaking company. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Where in Japan will he be located?

If not in a major city he may find opportunities teaching English. Is he expected to be the primary income while living in Japan?

"TEKsystems is a leading provider of IT staffing, talent management and services, and our people are the center of everything we do. Every year we deploy over 80,000 IT professionals at 6,000 client sites across North America, Europe and Asia"

I believe they have an office in Tokyo. They supply IT staff to many different companies. Positions can lead to a permanent position with the contracted company.

Your son should start looking into international staffing & recruiting companies that specialize in matching up employers and employees overseas. He will likely have to take a significant hit in pay when he first gets to Japan as with any move you need to establish yourself locally before the job market “trusts” your willingness to stay. That can take a year or more. It’s going to be a huge culture shock as traditions and expectations on workers in Japan is very very different than in the US. If they can live with the in-laws for a while that will help them to get established.

Does he speak Japanese? If not, learning even the most basic language elements will help greatly. Like a lot of foreign countries, they will tolerate an American speaking English for a while but he will need to learn the language if he wants to be accepted. Learning it now is his best bet.

Good luck.

He knows a little conversational Japanese, and they will be living with the grandparents and mom in Nagasaki. He does have some savings, and plan B is either looking for any kind of job, teaching english, or completing his degree online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.