Looking for a water bag alternative

ja123

May 21, 2018
NJ
Sick of my water bags every winter getting destroyed and buying new ones. I plan to eventually get a safety cover but does anyone have any luck using 5 gallon buckets with lids? I have a 20x40 pool and will prob need about 30 of them? Hows does everyone keep their covers down???

Have you heard of anyone using 5 gallon buckets? A lot cheaper of an option

Had a few friends switch to water filled buckets after high winds pulled the cover and dropped the cinderblocks in the pool. When the bucket falls in the pool it floats. It’s not the prettiest but at least you don’t have to worry about liner damage.

Reactions: ryandkysmom
Bleach bottles work well.

Towards the end of the season I too start to save my chlorine bottles to hold down the cover. Fill them about 75% of the way with water and it’ll have some extra room to expand when frozen. If they fall into the pool.....they float.

Best off......ALOT cheaper than water bags.

Towards the end of the season I too start to save my chlorine bottles to hold down the cover. Fill them about 75% of the way with water and it’ll have some extra room to expand when frozen. If they fall into the pool.....they float.

That is a great idea as well I think I will combine both ideas. How do the bleach bottles hold up in the wind and snow??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was planning on doing this this year. I see by your picture you have an AGP, so I'm not sure how you set it up so that the bottles would fall into the pool. My thoughts were to tie them to the grommets to hang down. How do you utilize them?

I purchased aqua blocks, poured sand in them, tied them down with black ties (so lids) do not blow off of them. The key is to have the cover out very far away from the pool. I am at least 4' out all the way around. Nice and tight so there is very little wind that gets underneath. Even if you have a hole in the tarp, the probability of the tarp sinking is slim. However, you must keep an eye on everything through the winter.

The only issue is that the aqua blocks have increased drastically in price, but long term a better investment. I store mine under my deck and then have pool storage bins that block it all summer long. Wipe down with Armor All to protect the covers every few months from fading, cracking, etc.

Reactions: KaiBee
Sick of my water bags every winter getting destroyed and buying new ones. I plan to eventually get a safety cover but does anyone have any luck using 5 gallon buckets with lids? I have a 20x40 pool and will prob need about 30 of them? Hows does everyone keep their covers down???
So what did you end up using? Buckets? How many? Did it work? Did you try jugs? Please let me know. I have to get something before mid Oct close. Thank you in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.