Looking for a replacement pump and filter for my 24f above ground pool

May 14, 2018
Attleboro, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As title says I am looking for a replacement pump/filter for this coming pool season. When i bought my pool i got a sand filter it is about 4 years old now and I have notices the pressure has dropped considerably since i got it and i backwash weekly. I was thinking of going to a DE filter. I know filters are all preference but looking for opinions on what the best above ground filter is (stick with sand/get a DE or cartridge)? My concern with cartridge is i just think of the cheap ones that come with intex pools.

As far as pumps I have had Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX Pool Pump, 115V, 1.5 HP. my concern with this is i find it difficult to take the cover off to empty the basket as there is no handle. With looking for a new pump I do not want to get a pump that is undersized and not suitable for my pool. Any recommendations on the best pump that isnt 1300$.

Any thoughts opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of this but its the same pump i have had and will this be good for a 24ft round above ground pool? ~15,000 gallons. Or do should i look for something bigger/different?

1615144003900.png

Tom,
Hi, four years is very short life span for a sand filter. You say losing pressure, well that can be elsewhere because backwash is when the pressure rises. You need to complete your signature so we can see what you have there to help you. For starters check the gauge if it rests at zero when the power is off. Possibly your gauge is not working and misleading you.

Reactions: Mdragger88
1.5 is more than enough hp for a 24' pool. I would not look for a bundled pump/filter like the photo in your post. If the pump is working you may just need some silicone lube to make the lid easier to take on and off.
Personally I don't like the Perflex DE filter, and I think it would be a little small for your needs. If you want to replace your filter, go for the largest filter you can afford and you will spend less time cleaning it.

Could you post a photo of your current pump and filter?

I have a client with the perflex DE filter. It was great once I got through a longish slam and that was on a 27'. The rest of the summer it was more then crystal clear but till I got it there it clogged a billion times.

For what it’s worth, I have a 150 sq ft cartridge filter on my 24’ ABG and it does a fine job — and makes it through a Summer without cleaning. No backwashing, no DE, just a good cleaning at the end of the Summer.

Everyone has their own preferences but for me I’m glad I went with cartridge.

Your Hayward pump should be fine and if you get a cartridge or DE filter I believe you can rotate your discharge on that pump to be horizontal to easily connect to the new filter.

If you DO decide to upgrade your pump, go with a 2-speed or variable speed.

Tom,
Hi, four years is very short life span for a sand filter. You say losing pressure, well that can be elsewhere because backwash is when the pressure rises. You need to complete your signature so we can see what you have there to help you. For starters check the gauge if it rests at zero when the power is off. Possibly your gauge is not working and misleading you.
Hi Yes, I can update my signature... I need to look at figure that out. YEs the filter itself is still fine I guess i just know at the end of last season the flow/pressure coming from the return was light(not the pressure in the filter/gauge). I am looking for the replacement pump for a few reason. I "broke" a plastic valve at the end of last season and instead of just getting the replacement part i would look into a new pump all together as I was not a fan of the pump I currently have for opening the basket. also it seems like it is unstable(sorry hard to explain). with that from my understanding in my price range/what i need i heard this pump (PowerFlo Matrix) is one of the better ones, I am just torn and not a huge fan of it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.